My town & country 2004 wont start sometimes

TownCountryguy
35

Asked by TownCountryguy May 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Base

My van start doing something really weird.  it will not start at all a friend check trhe battery(was good) check the fueses..and nothing next morning just for the heck of i try to start it and it work great for a 3 day then did the same thing it will not start. so i just wait till next morning and it started again so i took it to the dealers they could not duplicate the problem but they did want to change the battery and starter..but they were able to start the car every time. so i just took the van with me and it work for a week and now it is doing it again it will not start sometimes.  what do i do???

judge_roy

did checking the battery as "good" involve a dead-short for three seconds, the count how long till recharge, cause this is the true measure of the battery's health, also known to stop accepting a charge 10% per year, so if the knock off labels indicating date are more than seven years old still may have a healthy 12.5 volts, but still a load test would make you replace this battery~ as a 2004 vehicle is probably the case...might be still hangin' in there 9 years later, but will not stand a load test and needs to be replaced...one effect of having a "thirsty" battery such as this one that can no longer accept a charge is making the alternator work just as hard as it can to charge it up...but it's not charging up...make sure the black wire comin' off the battery goes to chassis ground and has a "clean spot" to be bolted to~

judge_roy

get an Interstate battery, they are a little more, but the right stuff~ can't afford it..NAPA....will give you five or fifteen bucks "core" charge for your oldie...give it up already...it's wastin' enough of your time bein' dead~....I'm handcuffed to my dead grandpa and bring him with me everywhere I go~

TownCountryguy
35

I have already change the battery 1 1/2 yr ago and the guy that check it clean the connections.

judge_roy

the connection to the starter, the connection to the motor block too?

judge_roy

Sounds like the battery does not have the 12.5 volts that it should....would check it anyways~

TownCountryguy
35

try to jumpstart it and nothing next morning start like nothing happen..

TownCountryguy
35

I will check with him and see what volts he got..

56,835

If you tried jump starting with no luck, it's not the battery. Either something is not allowing the signal from the ignition switch to the starter or the starter is hanging up. Next time it happens, hook a meter to the small wire on the starter. If it has voltage when the key is turned to start, the starter is bad. You should hook the wire up in advance so you don't get all dirty when you're late for work.

TownCountryguy
35

I will try that, tonight.. I really appreciate your help.

17,085

You probably have a module issue being a chrysler. Being something easy is gonne be slim here. The dealer is gonna be your best bet, they will have access to any tsb's and recall info lord knows there are plenty of them both.

Promethia
35

I've had a problem with mine not wanting to start, turned out it was the fuel injector in the tank. Try lightly giving it gas when you start it up and see if that helps.