Burning through oil due to turbocharger?

Matthew Nalker
105

Asked by Jan 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM about the 2007 MINI Cooper S

Had the MINI almost 2 months and the oil light comes on, when checked the oil is low. After filling it back to the proper level runs
fine but a couple weeks later same issue comes up again. I heard this is because of the turbo but sounds unlikely. Any solutions
to stop or slow the oil burn down?

Keyou Arian
75

turbo does burn some oil. Check for obvious oil leaks. Also check around the crank seal. If oil is leaking from there it will burn off before dripping to the ground

Matthew Nalker
105

No obvious leaks so far, but will definitely check around the crank seal for any leaks. Will that produce any other symptoms that might give it away?

Paul Evans
45

Prince engines (those used in 2nd-gen MINIs) have a technical service bulletin out for a leaky turbo oil line. If your MINI is still within warranty, go to the dealer and complain of oil loss, and bring the TSB sheet in. They'll repair it, gratis.

Matthew Nalker
105

When I bought the MINI it was out of warranty. It seems to keep doing this, I have to take it in to fix the aux water pump and will ask the techs about that.

Peter Nichols
2,855

ANY EXTERNAL OIL LEAK WILL MAKE A GREASY MESS EVENTUALLY ... cHECK the pcv hose and pcv valve .. as this creates an internal vacuum to the crank case thereby greatly reducing the likely hood of leaky seals or gaskets . SOOO we look to Mister turbo 's compressor side oil seal , This seal will operate under manifold vacuum until there is boost pressure present . and a leaky compressor seal will evenly divide consumed oil between all cylinders... so it may not ever smoke or knock period

Peter Nichols
2,855

check spark plugs for deposits (ENGINE COLD TO REMOVE PLUGS ) white , gray ,black flakey looking shit is what remains after carbon atom has left the chamber

Emadelneel
50

These cars are nothing but junk... Poor assembled,poor crappie service,nobody can give a straight answer about the ton of problems they are loaded with...and at day's end, we have to check oil every thousand miles, if I were riding a horse I wouldn't be doing that, I had all these problems, from oil to chains to trunk not opening, to brake pads that have to be changed before I blink, to rattling sounds from dash board, roof and no one at the effin dealers have a clue... Never again...never

sterve
25

Mini Cooper of Long Beach said..."BMW says that loosing a liter of oil every 750 miles, is normal" Because of high" amount of pressure under valve cover, pushes oil down intake"..........Meaning they have no idea why.

dmeraz
10

Wow! So I'm not the only one. Crevier Mini told me that burning a quart of oil in 1000 miles was "normal" for my 2009 s!! We have owned a Porsche, Mercedes, GMC, Prius, And a Ford and not one mechanic has told me such crap! It is not normal! I brought the mini in after 3000 miles for an oil change and mini said that I didn't need to do that. Just wait for any indicator lights. So now the lights say "do not drive critical engine oil low"! Regardless of the engineering, while the loaner vehicle runs smoother and I was thinking of getting another (since my Denali has 177,777 miles and still going strong), why would I now do that? Have two minis that burn oil or have to check it all the time??? So disappointed and feel taken by a manufacturer who has not addressed the design problem.

Jolyon Pehrson
20

Enter mental facility before buying a mini cooper, then run away feel freedom and buy a Toyota and never see a mechanic

Emadelneel
50

Couldn't agree more. Had a Toyota for 12 years before this piece of junk that I have, and until I sold it at 197000 miles, I couldn't tell where the oil gauge was... Never imagined I would be under the hood adding oil every couple of weeks... Any potential Buyer beware