Radio

grwbalt
0

Asked by grwbalt Mar 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM about the 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT

My radio stopped while  I was driving and now displays the code E DC. Does anyone know what
this is and how to fix it?

judge_roy

E (error) DC (direct current) {power}...so it's having problem getting 12 Volt power. Don't ask me how it was able to display this warning if this is the case? Just for assurances, would hose off the top of the battery both positive with it's cluster/array of things that will be corroded, try to remove all corrosion, then the on the negative terminal also clean the battery and remove crust with a wirebrush, put it back and trace the black wire until it comes to the chassis, this wire should share a connection to the chassis and to the engine....well I do declare the end of the terminal that goes to the chassis is buggered up.

judge_roy

six years of service is enough for deposits to accumulate, and the lead/antimony to be eaten away on the connectors....funny that sometimes there's SO much corrosion that the bolts don't have a head anymore and must be removed with a pliers-

grwbalt
0

Thanks for the quick reply. There was no corrosion on the battery terminals nor on the wires entering the chassis. I hosed it off just in case. Is there something else I might try?

judge_roy

...well the concensus is bad ground, that's why we took the time to make sure this couldn't possibly have been an issue...thanks ever so much for givin 'er a try! really have to move onto testing the voltages-

judge_roy

have you done something different with the output, like drivin' a couple of sub-woofers?

54,255

Can't remember the name of the factory sound system that was in my wife's eclipse spyder (Dolby or maybe infinity) not sure but anyway the main control box for the system was under the passenger seat. Her conv top leaked and the water got into the control unit. Not sure if yours is the same but if it is easy fix. They sell a harness that ties all the wires from under the seat to your new aftermarket radio.

judge_roy

I bet if you take a second look at the wiring, you can figure it out!