Calibrate speedometer from 14" tires to 15" tires

dhgasman
10

Asked by Sep 09, 2013 at 09:55 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

I replaced the standards rims with a set of aluminum rims from a euro sport.  My speedometer is about 10 mph off.  Is it possible to recalibrate it?

$300 will buy you a calibration kit from http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A3757A0A0.aspx or for a chart to know exactly what speed you are going, without the expense of that or having a shop re calibrate it: http://tire-size-conversion.com/speedometer-calibration/

dhgasman
10

Just visited the site you recommended. When you go to the place you choose the year it does not go back any further than 1996.

62,425

Locate the speed sensor on the trans, remove the sensor unit and count the teeth on the gear, call your local chevy dealer and ask for the next 2 gears required to speed your speedometer up, as you are not exactly sure how far off the speedometer is the 2 gears will give you a broader spread of adjustment and only one trip to the part department, then change out the gear and roadtest too see if it is closer to actual speed. Or go to a tire shop and buy a set of low profile 15 inch tires that will match the diameter and width of the 14 inch tires, that way you won't have to change a thing with you speed sensor calibration.