power steering pump

Devin Eden
100

Asked by Devin Mar 15, 2010 at 02:04 AM about the 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP

my power steering system has a leak somewhere. i just changed the oil in it about 2000 miles ago and checked the fluid then. it was a little low. i added some and checked to see if it was leaking any where. i didnt see any evidence of a leak then. so today i was driving and the power steering pump started whining. stopped at a gas station and there was no fluid left in the reservoir. i looked under the and sure enough it was drippin away. i had my wife turn the wheel while i was looking under the car and the leaking got worse so im assuming that it is either the pump itself or a high pressure line. it has 48,000 miles on it right now.     
    my question is has anyone else had similar problems? im hoping to narrow down my time searching for the leak by eliminating problem areas first.

Beavishead
0

Yes im having the problem now..leaking and whining im going to check it out tonight and try to fix...you fix yours?

citti2004
50

the power steering pump sounds really bad like no fuild at all.... been in shop 4 or 5 times and they cannot fix. Only does it when it's around 20 degrees outside. warms up outside whining goes away. its so bad you cannot talk inside the van.

rudyruee
95

REPLACE THE VACUUM HOSE. SOUNDS LIKE THE HOSES HAVE BECOME BRITTLE. IF THE PRESSURE HOSE WAS BAD, YOU/D SEE IT COATED. VACUUM HOSES GO BAD AND THEY GET LIKE THE SEEPER HOSES FOR YOUR GARDEN/GOT HOLES YOU CANT SEE. IS FLUID DARK OR LITE?

Neal Garrett
10

I'm having the same problem at 61,800 miles.