bad flywheel

ondaneone
40

Asked by ondaneone Mar 01, 2010 at 01:44 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

Hello,

Can a clanging noise coming from the flywheel do serious damage to a 350 Chevy Sub engine?  What's the least and worst case scenario?  Trying to determine if it's cheaper to fix now that it's making a claning sound every few seconds or wait until the engine won't start to replace the flywheel (5 or 6 hundred dollar job).

Thanks,
Moy

Jim Kososki
275

Hi. If you know that its the fly wheel, You need to get it fix asap. The 5 or 600 doller job to fix now coulde fly wheel turn into a 2500 to 3000 later. Best scenario. The fly wheel breaks and just rattls around when the starter turns. Worst. Your driving down the road turning 1500 to 2000 rpms and it lets loose. the fly wheel will bounce off the inside of the bellhousing ,repeatedly and with the tourqe converter bolted to it, It to will wobble, distroying the TQ and the tranny pump. Maybe breaking the bellhousing.Will it go through? Prob not, Never seen that happen... Eather way, the tranny will be junk. I guess it depends on how lucky you feel.... Hope this helps ya out

ondaneone
40

Thanks Jim! I'm not feeling very lucky these so off to the shop...

ondaneone
40

Just a quick update that may be helpful to someone, the noise coming from what I thougt was the flywheel was actually a piece of metal inside the cat which had rusted off and was moving around inside.