When I don't drive my 2007 Buick Lucerne for a wk the battery goes dead

dotty
0

Asked by dotty Oct 06, 2008 at 10:24 PM about the 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V6

AAA tells me this is normal, that I have to drive the car at least every 3 days.  The service dept at dealership has never heard of this problem.

Adam Wood
225

Sounds like a paraitic drain on your battery. 1st check to see that all lights and other electronics are off. The next thing to do would be to check your battery's charge make sure your alternator is charging it completely and that your battery is still good. Beyond that it's best to check with a local mechanic. Your battery shouldn't lose charge over 3 days, that's rediculous.

Adam Hughes
145

Unless it is a bad battery, it is definitely a parasitic drain, but since it is a 2007 the chances that it is the battery is slim to nil. Go to the dealership and tell them they must be idiots if they can't figure that out.

Adam Morgan
3,935

Pickup a multimeter and check current flow at the positive terminal. Should be nearly non-existent with the car off... You can likely find an exact value or check another car for an approximate value. My multimeter is fried atm and I can never remember the amp range. (DO NOT TRY TO READ THE CURRENT WITH THE CAR ON!) Self discharge on a crappy lead acid is only ~20% a month It could be only chargeing the battery to just above the starting point... In which case the voltage between your terminals with the car running will only be in the low 12's when it should be over 13.

amyl
0

I have the same problem with my 2007 Buick Lucerne. It has been in the shop three times and has had both the ignition switch and the battery replaced and the new battery goes dead, too. This also happens if I do not drive the car every few days. It IS ridiculous.

Jason Zane
3,135

try the glove box light... i've had that switch stay on at times on the LeSabre. disconnect it and see if the drain goes away. hope it helps.. good luck

jpazderski
20

Father has 2007 Lucerne with same problem. AAA came out to jump start the car and check the battery and told me that because of the computers there is a continuous drain of .03 amps even when everything is shut off so the car needs to be started 2x per week for about 1/2 hour to prevent the battery from dying.

buccaneerz89
965

When key off there should be a small amout drawn, but if you have it running atleast 30mins twice a week you have a problem. All computers should turn off so you might have a problem with one of computers staying on.

Lucernehappy07
190

I have the same car, but today is the first time I have tried to start it in 2 weeks, it started right up as normal. And the outside temperature was above 20 degrees for the first time in weeks.

bwags2
215

The owners manual states that if you do not start and drive the car for a 20 day period, then you should disconnect the battery because the normal non running time amperage draw will cause it to completely discharge. I found this out the hard way - after a 30 day camping trip with the car left in the garage. The every three day start recommended by AAA is BS. You need to get a new dealership if they cannot help you. There are two scenarios that could cause your problem - in my opinion; excessive current draw when sitting in your garage or a bad battery. If this happened to me and my dealer told me that they never heard of this before and sent me on my way, then I would NEVER have them service my vehicle again.

anjy834u
2,425

ur battery is done with i think. is it an old one. the charge on ur battery, just doesn't remain. http://www.buick-lucerne.com/

beanseller
0

I've got a 2004 Lucerne and I have the same problem. The battery was replaced because of a bad cell, but the new battery drained after about two weeks and needed to be jumped. I've been told to start and run the car at least weekly for at a minimum 30 minutes to help keep it charged.

Jason Zane
3,135

just as the car is now closing in on 4 years old, i'm noticing my battery is slightly draining to the point where my remotes do not function. a long drive , and all remote functions are restored. it seems that all the functions of the radio, onstar, remote receiver, and other items must be slowly draining the battery. as the battery gets older, it naturally discharges faster.

Steveds
0

We have a 2008 and change the battery and the same problem.

RoryB
0

This is a common problem with the Lucerne (Dead Battery). Before you spend hundreds trying to check everything under the sun, pull the Onstar fuse. If you're not using the "Onstar", pull the red 10 amp Onstar fuse and your Battery problems may be over. It's under the back seat near the Battery. The Onstar system is always drawing power from the Battery, even when it's off. Worked for me.