Radiator fan relay error code

Tron89
0

Asked by Mar 23, 2011 at 02:52 PM about the 2003 Chrysler Town & Country Base

So the radiator fans aren't working, I had a friend check it on his diagnostic computer and it gave the radiator fan relay code. The fuse for the radiator fan was good, the plugs on the fan and relay were good, so I replaced the relay and the fans still aren't working. Is there something I am missing? a fusible link somewhere on the wire or something.

tplumber32
30

Look for a a/c leak. I have a 1999 T/C and found out that if the a/c is low the fans wont turn on that.

BigAirEddy
120

I have a 1999 T & C AWD 3.8L & had this problem and blew 3 radiators due to it. It could have caused the engine to fail (blown head gasket,cracked block,etc.) due to the overheating as well but luckily didn't. I initially had my neighbor mechanic check it out the 1st time/radiator . He said it was a blown radiator & didn't check into why/what caused this & just replaced the radiator. About a week later the new radiator blew out again.The check engine light came on this time only and the error code said radiator fan control as I remember when I hooked up my scan tool (don't recall error code #). I assumed it was the radiator fan relay so I changed this and the error code turned green during a drive test with the scan tool (meaning all was good I thought).The 3rd go-around/radiator had no check engine light, but the radiator again blew in the same place/seam of the plastic portion of it on the driver's side. I read in the repair manual that the coolant temperature sensor tells the radiator fans when to turn on and off (which makes sense since it's measuring when it's too hot). I'm changing it, the relay and the thermostat & have checked the fan motors as well this time.The sensor is about $20 or less as I recall & is located right next to the thermostat housing on the front passenger side of the (sideways) engine If you ever hear a boiling noise (coolant) upon turning off the engine after driving, this is a sign that it's too hot and that likely your fans aren't coming on & needs correction before you potentially blow the radiator or worse, the engine. I do not recall that my dashboard temperature gauge showed an extremely hot temperature when these radiators blew but they may be controlled by this sensor as well and if they were faulty & not working, then there you go.. I've heard that if you turn on the A/C with the car running that the fans should automatically turn on as well but am not certain of this.Hope this helps.

Mario Gomez
40

Could give me the outline the complete refrigerant circuit electrical? Thank you... Mario - Madrid - Spain

CaptAmar
110

same problem with 3.3l yaer 2000 van,just that replacing the coolant sensor,fan relay,thermostat,radiator cap did not fix the problem.The radiator coolant boils and steam comes from radiator cap,if you switch on AC the fans come on,if you disconnect the coolant sensor the fan runs...any help will do.

NeedMoTools55
10

1996 thru 2000 ( i would have to check the newer ones but the fans are variable speed. They come on strong and you hear them slow down. There is a heart sink under the drivers side of the bumper beam. It is very obvious when you look under the bumper area. It has been awhile but I am pretty sure it is on the drivers side. These have failed in the past and no fans will come on. I've never seen the relays fail and they are easy to test rather than throw away money guessing. A simple pair of jumper leads make it easy to power up the fans to test, if the compressor is not coming on use a paper clip and bypass the low pressure switch at the receiver dryer. Another common area. Just remember the circuits have power and the circuits are controlled with the grounds.