What could be wrong? engine has slight shake, knocking noise. When in gear will shut off

subaruownermn1
0

Asked by subaruownermn1 Feb 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM about the 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X

Check engine light came on while driving, than the engine started making a knocking noise.  As I pulled off the
road the car died at the top of the ramp.  I was able to start the car and get going but as soon as I started to
slow for stop signs or lights the car would die.  It would also die in reverse and has limited power.  I replaced
the battery and no difference.  I noticed a slight oil leak but the oil was at the normal line.  I really do not want to
drive it to a dealership with out a possible idea of the damage as to not make it worse.
Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks

Michael Tutty
4,065

You don't say how many miles on the engine. However, knowing these cars, I have a funny feeling you have one of two problems. Either a shot timing chain/belt (not sure which your engine has) or else you have a blown head gasket. Either way TOW it to the shop and have it checked. Bad noises mean bad damage in a hurry.

judge_roy

Double your pleasure, double that fun, with TWO timing belts...ahoy!

Jndoe305
10

Possible overheating wich may also lead to blown head gasket