Should I use a SAE oil or a syntheti, oil

TomTerrific
0

Asked by TomTerrific Apr 21, 2013 at 06:53 PM about the 2002 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

17,075

Use whatever the factory recommends it will be fine.

56,795

Everything you ever wanted to know about oil and lots more - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Alex Nazarian
845

If the car is burning oil, stick with conventional oil. I use synthetic because I drive a lot and would rather not have to change the oil every 3 weeks. Also, I drilled oil drain holes in my pistons so I doesnt burn any oil. So in short, its cheaper and better to use normal oil.

17,075

You took the motor apart so that you could drill holes in the pistons? Please tell me your joking! Because that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

Alex Nazarian
845

I rebuilt the bottom end, slapped a twin cam head on, increased compression, and used a different rod/piston combo. So is it dumb to simply drill holes while everything is already apart to eliminate the oil burning problem all together? I think not.

17,075

You didnt up compression if your drilling holes in the componet that is supossed to make that compression.

Alex Nazarian
845

I increased compression by decking the head, moron.

Alex Nazarian
845

And i drilled holes in the oil ring landing. Look at a picture of a piston and you may learn something.

17,075

Yeah yeah i know what a piston looks like. That makes more sense now you did not specify that you didnt drill a big ol hole through the top of it

Alex Nazarian
845

Yes, ventilating pistons in the way you perceived it before isn't...."optimal" if performance/economy is your aim. lol

17,075

Well I take back my comment. Was to soon to call the idea dumb. Didnt have all the details.

Alex Nazarian
845

Not a problem. I was in sort of a "slam" mood, so I went off on you. My apologies.

17,495

I'm curious as to what kind of piston you bought that didn't already have slots in the oil ring groove.

Alex Nazarian
845

I used stock/OEM pistons from another car. Saturn never dealt with the issue. Dirty oil gets stuck up in the oil control rings because there are only 2 small reliefs on each side of the piston to allow oil to run back down to the pan. If you dont change your oil, the grime gunks up the oil control rings and makes them stick in one position causing the notorious oil consumption most saturn's experience. Redesigned pistons from sealed power, etc have the drain back holes. I saved a lot of money by drilling 4 small holes on each side of the oil ring landing on my used pistons instead of buying new.

17,495

Ahhh I assumed with all the upgrades you had also upgraded the pistons...

17,495

Btw if you go with synthetic oil you shouldn't go back to regular oil, rubber seals and gaskets like main seals and valve guide seals tend to break down very quickly when you do this.

Alex Nazarian
845

Ive heard that, however, i've never experienced it myself. I generally wait until the motor is broken in to put synthetic in. And there's no need for upgraded pistons unless you're throwing boost into the picture. Compression is around 10.25:1 and ive got a set of street cams waiting to go in. No need for anything more than OEM internals and whatnot.