Starting problem

Zac2438
30

Asked by Zac2438 Nov 20, 2012 at 03:27 PM about the 2001 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

Lights and radio comes on but will not turn over. I replaced the starter but still didn't fix the problem

hoot204
30

Clean the battery cables. If that does not fix it test for continuity on the small wires running to the starter; some cars had fusible links in these wires. Make sure the shifter is all the way into park. Test the nuetral safety switch and the ignition switch and all wiring and connectors.

DavidH25

hoot204, you are 100% correct but you forgot one basic: battery may be weak, enough for radio etc. but no cranking amps

Zac2438
30

I've already cleaned the battery cables and when i push the clutch all the way in it still acts like that im not pushing it in enough. As for the battery its brand new and will start the car fine one time but then not the next.

Zac2438
30

Its the wire that connects to the ignition and straight to the starter that was still feeding power to the starter which was always running so it burnt the starter up. Good guesses though!

Bets
20

Ok I have a new battery, starts all day 1 day but, if I don't start it for 2 days it just clicks anything I can do? I need this car to work. Is a refurbished starter a good idea? please help.

Bets
20

I didn't put the car and year. a 2000 saturn s series

Alex Nazarian
665

1) Start your own topic thread Bets. You'll get a better response that way 2) Sounds like you have a parasitic draw. Bust out the voltmeter and check for it.