How do I remove the valve cover so I can change the gasket ?

GaryO63
0

Asked by GaryO63 Oct 01, 2013 at 04:19 PM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL Sedan

All I see are two star shaped nuts on top of the cover. I've watched numerous videos on
You Tube that show 11 bolts to remove. I'm stumped. I've included a pic (not mine) of the
one that looks like mine.

GaryO63
0

Just two bolts ? Hmm...ok. It's amazing that just those alone would make a good seal. Ok then,thank you very much.

39,315

Yep I know, that is why you need to be very careful with it, if it warps then you will never get it to seal.

GaryO63
0

I do appreciate the help.Did some research and I need a T-40 torx , A Fel Pro gasket and RTV,all available at the Auto Zone close by. Should be no problems.Whatever happened to motors that were straight (as opposed to sideways) and easy to work on ? I miss those days.Anyway...thanx again.

Alex Nazarian
1,035

The videos youve seen were for the DOHC motors. There are only 2 bolts fastening it down on the SOHC. You may be able to reuse the gasket if its in good condition, I always do. And the orientation of the motor is a consequence of fwd. Also, i find it funny that you posted a picture of one of the few turbocharged single cam saturns. lol

GaryO63
0

Yeah, I looked at it closer and saw that it is a different engine than mine.Hopefully I can reuse the gasket. I've got oil all the way around the cover and it seems to be burning more oil than usual.Got 108k miles,which isn't bad at all.Also going to replace plugs if needed (we bought it used almost 2 years ago,so not quite sure of maintenance) and any other routine maintenance it may need before winter.Otherwise,it runs like a gem.Just trying to save a couple $.Thanks for all your help.

Alex Nazarian
1,035

These things burn oil because the oil control rings stick. The valve covers may leak if theyre warped, but chances are you need another gasket. Do what you need to do and keep the oil topped off, it'll run forever

maize21
0

Ok guys thanks

jonnyRains
0

I have a 2001 Saturn with the t-40 Torx it just started making a rattling sound from the center of the Valve cover I think the timing chain tension-er is faulty i wont know till tomorrow I love this car Hope I can fix it..

jonnyRains
0

the sound is hard to detect cause it sounds like everything is rattling.

39,315

It looks like your valve cover is a plastic one so it only has the 2 hold down bolts, be very careful with this one, it has a special silicone rubber gasket made of it, make sure that both mating surfaces are clean to make a good seal, then use care while torquing it down, alternate back and forth on the bolts so you don't overstress the valve cover until you reach the torque specs.