i have a 2000 saturn , new battery but still wont even click, just lost my husband to cancer last month so needing help please

harleyhoney67
0

Asked by harleyhoney67 Feb 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL Sedan

4,745

assuming everything is connected correctly and battery has good voltage (gotten bad ones several times) I would assume starter or starter relay. To be 100% sure I'd have to look at it with a voltmeter but hard to do that over the internet.

45,645

Try getting the car jump started before replacing anything. If it starts, the problem is with the battery or connections. If it doesn't turn over, the problem is with the ignition key or starter.

Alex Nazarian
665

If everything else seems normal(lights, radio, accessory chiming), I would support what the guys above me have. Starters can develop a dead spot in the electrical windings, so it'll work in almost every position it stops in, but wont crank if it stops in the dead spot. If you hit it with a hammer a few times(to move it out of the dead spot) and it starts, you have your answer.

Rob Fuller
5

Shifter might not be going all the way into park, or dirty terminals.

John McElrea
45

I have a manual. There is a switch on the clutch petal to engage the engine. When I turn the key without the clutch pressed it won't even click the solenoid. Once I push the clutch in, with the key in the on position, the car will start. Just a couple other possibilities. solenoid and switch.

Derek Clay
5

if the starter wont engage there can be many problems. i have a 93 saturn and they didnt change anything from then till 2002. Starter solenoid can be bad, can have high resistance in the starting circuit, the fusable link going off the starter can be open. Also neutral safety switch if automatic, clutch pedal position switch if manual.