what weight of oil does this car use?

mschilson
0

Asked by mschilson May 07, 2008 at 10:51 AM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SW2 Wagon

i just bought this car and it i a real nice car. i don't have a book for it yet. i want to change the oil. what weight should i use?

24,955

5W30 is factory recommended weight for this year and model.

Paul Board
265

prob 5w30 check the oil cap or you owners manual

Ron Daman
245

Go with what the factory recommendation is; my 97 has 5W30 on the oil cap, and that's what i use

Alexandria Stoddard
35

5W-30, it says on the oil cap.

Daniel Reed
1,445

If it has high miles, I would recommend 10w-30, just because as the engine wears, gaps between parts get bigger.

A Facebook user
475

if the engine is a 1.9 litre and it has over 200,000kms on it i would use something thicker than 10w30 because they all burn oil when they have high k's. if its a newer engine like 2.2 ecotec use 5w30 for any amount of mileage those are kick ass engines.

Isaac Karjala
35

you're supposed to run 5w-30. But running 5w-30 Quaker State type III grade oil, compared to 10w-30 Quaker State type II oil; the 10w-30 deffinately ran better in my engine of 110k~, rebuilt at 80k (frame&trans, 253k)

Isaac Karjala
35

note: both the 10w-30 and the 5w-30 where Quaker State type III grade oil. that's a typo that the 10w-30 was type II grade oil. (grade II=hydrocracked dino oil; grade III=extensively hydrocracked dino oil and labeled "synthetic" for marketing reasons)