Engine fails to return to idle periodically

vmwptl
0

Asked by vmwptl Apr 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

We have a Saturn SL1, (1.9 Liter; single overhead cam engine). the engine intermitantly continues to run at about 2000 RPM when you come to a stop rather than dropping down to the normal approx. 900 rpm idle speed. Any one have an idea what is causing this?

walth
655

I'm not certified, but I would consider looking at a Saturn forum and asking for help on cleaning your idle air control valve / IAC. Seems to be the usual culprit. When they start going bad they either fail shut and stall all the time or stick open and you sound like a moron at red lights. lol good luck!