Car is still running too high.,,,,,,,,,,,I have post on here before,,,,,,please help.

geterdone
20

Asked by geterdone Apr 03, 2013 at 06:08 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

When my car is just sitting,it runs,perfict,at round 10,000 RPM,but when you put it in gear or just plain coasting,the RPM rises around 20,000,and also when I pick up speed press the clutch in,the RPM goes up to 30,000,shift in a higher gear,and let go of the clutch,,,,,,,,,(dog gone it !!!!!!!!!!) I can hear the clutch plate rubbing,,now thats not good.,the RPM should drop when you press in the clutch,there is no engine light,so the only time the RPM goes down is when I make a complete stop,wait 5 to 10,second then it drop back to normal.,,,,,about a Month ago I did replace the IAC(but might have damage it) I just replace the TPS but no changes,is there anybody that can help me on this,could it be the IAC,I have read something about the fuel filter,(could it be that).,I just want sombody to at least give me a good answare,I just don't like the garages cause they try to get as much money as they can,and they also talk to me like I'm stupid,even know I know how to work on cars ..

Tylander
365

Wow... I wish I could see the previous post because it would give me some idea of what has been suggested. Here's a stupid possibility. check the spring return on the throttle. If it doesn't snap back with some major force then theres an easy fix and a very happy day. there is the possibility the the distributor control is detecting the AC unit is engaged. This won't come up as a trouble code! Try the engine with the a/c on and off and see if there is a difference. Even try pulling the A/C relay if it seems like there is something going on. If you have a big thumpin stereo drawing massive amounts of power, the computer will also compensate for that by driving the engine idle up to make up for the power draw. The distributor unit may be at fault as well, keeping the spark advanced for a time after the throttle says it should return to idle. I would replace the IAC again if you fear you damaged it. Please remember to disconnect the negative battery cable (I don't know how many times I've almost made that mistake!) and remember to let it sit and idle for a few minutes without touching anything or turning any accessories on after reconnecting the battery so the computer has time to get it's settings. The fuel filter would only give you poor power and a weak idle as a problem. Your fuel is metered through injectors controlled by the computer and throttle position, which also leaves us with a possible injector problem. Keep posting if you notice other symptoms.

Best Answer