What are some problems that occur with this car?

runner5
0

Asked by runner5 Feb 01, 2007 at 06:54 PM about the 1997 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

Is there a problem that occurs with the engine at about 125,000 miles or more?  What are some common problems that occur with this car?  I'm lookin into buting one with 125,423 miles on it and it would help to know a little about the problems that might occur with it.

bovan
10,130

Dear runner5-- I actually have one of these Saturns myself. It has over 155,000 miles on it. I have it because it refuses to die. My daughter was going to donate it to charity a year ago, but I took it instead. Since then I use it to drive my dogs around. It is also one of the few remaining places where I can smoke a cigar legally. I have had a few problems, like the heater and the muffler, but the engine is a workhorse (although very loud when cold). The transmission makes some odd sounds at times and I expect that will be the first major component to go. Go to www.carcomplaints.com and they will verify what I have said. Don't spend a lot of money on it and you should be okay. Good luck from Bovan.

helpmeplease
380

Why, when I start the car it will not idle....unless I keep my foot on the gas pedal it dies instantly. Can only drive it by 'feathering' the gas pedal all the time?

EmiliaJ
115

Hey helpmeplease; i have that same issue. I actually have to start my car in Neutral with my foot on the break, then "Bogart" it into gear with my foot on the gas. Makes for a lot of peel outs, but it does the trick. I've been told by many it's the idle (aka throttle) control sensor. Good luck.

kkenny400
0

the only problem I've had with my Saturn 1997 Sl-2 is that it isn't very strong. I got into a fender bender... well that's what it was for the other car (Volvo... enough said). My whole bumper, side panel, hood, and lights were gone, 1,200 $$ in damage.

lavendarcrash
15

My '97 SL-1 is about the same mileage as bovan's, and the only real problem I've had is a sour alternator. If you get it or any Saturn into any kind of wreck, there will be a LOT of body damage (the doors and quarter-panels are all fiberglass and the bumpers are plastic) but the frame is a solid steel roll cage, so you're pretty safe in a major pileup. Believe me, I used to work at a Saturn dealership. We had a few come through torn to pieces, but the driver and passengers had barely a scratch. If you do the regular maintenance, it really will refuse to die (we had early '90's models coming in for oil changes with 300,000+ miles that purred like a kitten). They might not be powerful, but they're cheap and worth the money, especially the 10 gallon gas tank. And I highly recommend a manual transmission over an automatic-cheaper maintenance and repair. They just plain last longer, too. By the way, I used to hate Saturns with a passion before I had this car.

Nick Sengheiser
75

Engine problems. Suspension Problems. Steering problems. Self Destruct problems. I swear to god i saw one of these driving the opposite way and the back end was on FIRE! HAHA. Dude buy a honda like everyone else.

Jay Kozak
100

I have been selling Saturns for 3 years now as an auto dealer and with 24 years mechanics under my belt one would have to be a fool to buy any timing belt interference engine Hondapail over a timing chain indestructable rustproof simple to fix car. When Saturn built a car to teach Honda how things should be done they certainly did it. Unfortunatley they did not see the big picture that if you buld a car to last so lomg to look so good after 20 years it is hard to increase sales. with GM's mismanagement something had to go and the car that made the brand that made the least amount of money had to go. So folks if you are a novice in regard to mechanics 101 buy an Saturn and you will be safe AS EVEN A BAD SATURN REVIEW AFTER TAKING THE FEW FLAWS INTO CONSIDERATION IS A GOOD REVIEW. You can't argue great engineering when comparing Honda to Saturn when in 2006 Honda replaced timing belt inplosion engines with a chain.....Like a Saturn hmmmmm. makes ya think

Alex Nazarian
715

This topic is 6 years old...

fabian_09_21
160

I have a 2001 Saturn SC2 with 139K miles on it, roughly. It has been shifting very hard lately. Love the car, dual over head cam, 16 valve, excellent gas mileage, enough said. I don't want the problem to escalate, hoping for a little advice.

Kayla Blankenship
10

Is there a GSR for automatic vs manual?Will an automatic GSR make a manual check engine light come on? Will it make it idle like a vacuum leak.?

damn1234
50

I have an 01 SC2, I was gonna get rid of it for a year or so, power steer, altenator, engine idle. It was ALL to do with the Serpentime belt and the idler arm. It make the car like new again, REALLY, will do 65 m/h no prob

Kate Bennet
40

The main problem is oil consumption, they all do it and sometimes it's severe. The single cam engine have issues with head cracking but it's less than 5%. The automatic transaxle has its valve body go out first, that is the hard shifting or refusal to shift into 1st or reverse. The manual transaxle can have the carrier cross pin come out which destroys the transaxle case, again this is pretty rare. Overall they're extremely reliable just keep oil in it.

arubens41
10

From my personal experience, you simply cannot purchase a more reliable car than Saturn for the money. I purchased a used 1996 SC2 back in 1999 and drove it for 9 years with no major problems whatsoever. The car was Totaled in 2006 (with me in it) as I was at a red light and rammed by a Porsche traveling at around 30-40 miles per hour by a woman not paying attention and who did not once apply the brakes- testimony to the fact that not only was this car reliable- I also walked away from the accident unharmed (the lady in the Porsche was taken away in an ambulance from what I suspect was mostly her being in shock from the impact). As the search for a replacement vehicle began, I knew in my heart I wanted another Saturn- Lo and behold, about 10 -15 days later I found another 1996 on a car lot- this time the 4 door version. This car was a godsend, literally. It was 11 years old with only 67,000 miles on it! Well, here we are 2014, 6 years later and another Saturn with no major problems whatsoever! In my 15 years experience of driving 2 Saturns I will put this car against any as far as reliability- you simply will not find a better car for the money- THANK YOU SATURN!!!

01sc2
20

I bought a 01 SC2 for $3400 in 2011. Had 100K on it. Gets 36-37 highway mpg. Couldn't be happier. My son will probably get it when he goes to college. Should last for a long, long time.

damn1234
50

Ahhh, good for you 01sc2, I bought mine new. Great car, just lately the oil change guy pointed out that there was a left front spring broken, they wanted to replace the 2 front springs and shocks and give it an alignment for $1000, I went to my guy who did the springs for 100 labour and 140 for the springs. It was broke about 8" into the coil spring, I'm in Toronto Canada and this winter was hard and a lot of potholes in the roads that are hard on the front wheels. My revered mechanic said I didn't need shocks or an alignment. I had a power window stop working. I just sprayed it with compressed air into the area around the window button and it works. Mines got 85000 kilometers which is roughly 53000 miles. That serpentine belt was a killer app solution, I was ready to look for another car, after the belt install it became a new car,,,,, no engine oil burning, ac works good, the heater selection rotator wouldn't change from feet to feet and head or to defrost, the black knob wouldn't turn, my guy put some goo somewhere under the center dash and gently massaged the knob on the dash and then it would turn from far right to far left' The car is a dark blue and I washed it on this sunny day and the car looks great. Had it 14 years, my mechanic said the tranny would outlive me. No other probs. Good luck to all, you're helpful to me

01sc2
20

Yeah, the serpentine belt is my next project. I live in MN, had a slip/fall - concussion and neck injury. My old change place advised me to get it replaced before the winter. Luckily, it made it through the winter. But I'm not experiencing any of the issues you were. Just needs an extra quart or less betwwen changes. Mine is the "bright blue metalic". When washed, it looks brand new. Only one little chip in the black pillar on my side. It is cool to have such a reliable, GREAT mpg, good looking car that is 13-14 yrs old. I've attached a photo of a car exactly like mine.

damn1234
50

That is the same colour as my car, I am gonna do a spring clean-up on mine and will send you a pic. I feel the problems I have had are little things, as long as the air con, tranny and engine don't act up we're winners. I'm getting better gas mileage now that it's warming up. thanx for you info 01sc2

Kody Russell
20

Alex Ur an idiot... Just because a post is 6 years old doesn't mean nobody else can post... These are here to help people... I've seen u post "this post is?" So many times... What do u do go around finding old posts and bashing on people... Instead of spending all Ur time online and bashing on people do something productive!

Alex Nazarian
715

Yup. All I do is bash. Not like anyone benefits from my input. Time to get back to turbocharging my car.