2002 LW-200, automatic. suddenly started chugging at stops; the whole car rocks.

Paul Baughman
0

Asked by Paul Jun 07, 2013 at 03:14 PM about the 2002 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr LW200 Wagon

This showed up suddenly. The car runs fine at highway speed and
accelerating/decelerating. long-time saturn mechanic can't find the problem; diagnostic
just says 4 cylinders missing. he tried plugs, wires & coil but it didn't help. He was
thinking injectors, but said it should show this problem at hi-way speed also. He
suggested a possible ECM replacement ($500-600) *might* help, but wasn't confident,
otherwise disassemble the engine to look for problems (burned valves?).
I asked about the Catalytic converter being plugged (happened on an earlier car), but
he didn't seem to think that was it.
Anyone have suggestions?

judge_roy

yes the EGR,(if equipped is designed to introduce exhaust gas into the intake) to reduce combustion temperatures if running too hot and upon de-celeration when you let off the gas...when you accelerate again is supposed to let the air/fuel mix go without tampering with it....now this gets full of carbon and will not flap with the vacuum applied....will have to see Number one if you have one and 2.) if it's a job you could do yourself...takin' it off and cleaning the carbon off with some brake cleaner~ and putting it back~

judge_roy

have been criticized for offering this solution....but then it's right...others have said "this one does not have an EGR" which California smoggers are what I've dealt with...perhaps Nebraska is different...need to look at your smog equipment....actually unbolt it and clean it~....put it back if you have one~

Joshua Carlson
245

I'd follow the other guy's suggestion first, but if that isn't the problem, I'd check to see if your torque converter clutch solenoid is working correctly- sometimes they will stick on after driving for a little bit, causing the transmission to stay locked for cruising when you come to a stop, causing an identical result to not using the clutch in a manual-transmission.