Why is my 207 Chrysler Sebring making a whining noise

ladybug911
20

Asked by ladybug911 Jun 12, 2013 at 03:46 PM about the 2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 Dr Limited

My 2007 Chrysler Sebring makes a whining noise and it is getting worse.  It does it when I start it and then it does it while I am driving and when I am trying to park the vehicle.  When peole are walking by they look at me crazy so they can hear it also.  What is this noise?

romeboy
10

It can came from many things like the water pump alternator it can be the air con pump so check that out first

Samuel Moore
1,015

Sounds like a problem with the bearings in a pulley going out. Does the sound increase when you turn the wheel? Does it stop or go away if you turn off the air conditioning?

ladybug911
20

It increases when I turn, or trying to park. Sometimes it goes away if I turn off the air conditioner and sometimes it doesn't. It has been doing it a while now and I would like some ideas of what it could be before taking it to the shop.

Samuel Moore
1,015

It sounds like it could be the power steering pump. If the pump itself is failing, there would be a high pitched whine that may only occur when turning the wheel and is usually accompanied by a bit of a groaning sound.

rosie6301
10

Had same thing happen with mine. It needed power steering fluid. It's been fine ever since.