Won't Start-Intermittantly

MCFM
0

Asked by MCFM Feb 02, 2010 at 04:22 PM about the 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring

I have a 2007 Chrysler 300, when trying to start it, it does turn over but does not actually start up. We know it isn't the battery.
So it was towed to the dealership and they said it started right up for them so there was nothing they could do....
What would cause it to not start for two days, then just start right up? I have seen reviews claiming fuel gauge issues on the 300's...

Chase Sutherland
3,915

my car did that once. starter engaged but it just wouldnt turn over. i let it sit for about 2 minutes and then it started right up. havent had an issue since.

Eddie_G1
430

I have had the same problem with my 2008 300C - the engine turns over but won't fire. It's now happened to me 3 times, the first time I called the warranty number and they sent out a Chrysler technician who couldn't find any fault so tried pulling fuses, then it started. I took it to the dealer and they said there were a number of minor faults registering on their computer which they cleared. The second time the Chrysler technician again connected his laptop and couldn't find a fault but when he disconnected it and it started, I then took it to the dealer I bought it from and they replaced the crankshaft sensor, saying that was the problem. Yesterday it happened again and I got towed to the same dealer who said that their diagnostics computer said there was a problem with sooting up and the gas analyser and that they had to drive it for 20 miles and reset the system, they also updated the software and are "confident" that it wont happen again. We'll see!

linda1185
210

did it happen again since they updated the software and stuff?

anjy834u
2,575

check the fuel pump pressure and fuel gauges..they might need a repair or a change. http://chrysler300.org/

Eddie_G1
430

No thankfully it hasn't happened since, so I hope its cured because I'm not outwith the warranty period - have you had the same problem?

linda1185
210

Yes I have the same problem. If its cold outside the car starts up fine, but when its warm out that's when I have the problem. I'll turn the key and all it does is click. So I would turn the key over and over until the car starts. Most times its about 5 times to finally get it to start. I don't know much about cars but I know its not the starter or the battery. I'm just trying to find out what the problem could be cause I don't have a warranty on the car so whatever I get fixed it will come out of pocket.

Eddie_G1
430

It's definitely not the battery but it may be the the starter - I live in Scotland so I've not had to try starting it when its warm outside! Joking aside, my problem was slightly different, mine's didn't just click, the engine actually turned over and would continue to turn over until I let the key go, but the engine would not fire up and run by itself.

bernie12007
150

i have a chrysler 300c 2007 model diesel auto im having the same problem engine started for a sec and run now it wont start at all starter just clicks foned the dealership who we bought the car off. would not help us at all in reguards to why the engine wont start please could any one give us advice please thank you

anjy834u
2,575

it can be very much a fuel gauge issue or the cause can be a faulty fuel pressure pump which fails to pump the right amount of fuel at times causing the issue. http://chrysler300.org/

David Mitchell Sr.
320

I have a 2007 300 Touring. It has had a problem starting for a month or more, turning over, but not starting. This seems to only be after it has been sitting for a couple of hours or more. This week it stalled on the interstate, I had it towed, and the shop replaced the fuel pump. It ran great on the drive home, but did the very same thing the next morning. Is it my fuel filter, a sensor, or regulator, and could it have made my fuel pump go out? HELP PLEASE!!!

juelz
190

i am having the same problem with my 2007 limited 300 all the lights, radio, nav, etc work just fine. it wants to start just wont fire, i have took the car to the shop and they cant find anything wrong with the car, she didnt miss a beat the four days it was there, so brought it home and been doing fine for 2weeks and tonight i went to go home and it would not start haaaa please somebody help

Eddie_G1
430

Sorry I Can't be more helpful, but since they diagnosed the problem as sooting up and the gas analyser then drove it for 20 miles, reset the systemand updated the software, I've not had a repeat of the problem and that's over a year now, so "touch wood" it's cured.

2004chrysler300m
70

Eddie_G1 -- I have a Chrysler 300M and it has developed the same start fine in the mornings but after engine warms up and shuts up, it won't fire. I've had all sensors replaced, new spark plugs, air filter, etc. In your fix - what do you mean "a problem with sooting up and the gas analyser". What software did the dealership update? I would be so grateful for a reply since I have had it taken to 4 different mechanics plus dealership.

Eddie_G1
430

"A problem with sooting up and gas analyser" is the phrase the dealer used, exactly what they meant by that I can't be certain, but I assumed the sooting up was caused by the fact that the majority of my journeys are short and local. I know diesel engines need to work hard from time to time otherwise they tend to soot-up. They were not any more specific about the gas analyser fault and the software they updated I took to mean the engine control system. Hope this is of some help, but your problem sounds different from mine, since mine just wouldn't start at all - nothing to do with warming up first.

seabeedd
115

I have a similar issue but a little more strange. My 07 300 would not turn over once the key was engaged to start, it would only start at night or early mornings ( cooler weather). So I pulled out the starter and had it tested, and it was bad. I replaced the starter and at first it seemed fine. A week later, the starter was bad again and now will not start at all. The warranty has expired so I am trying to avoid the dealer for now. Any suggestions/ ideas?

Whatisit
395

I have a 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring. I'm having a consistency start up problem, sometimes I have to crank it for 2-4 seconds and it starts right up. I want to say that 6 out of 10 times it start right up. *One thing I have noticed is that Every time I pump a full tank on the car, when I turn it on to leave from the gas station it does not start right up I have to crank it for 2-4 seconds. I called the dealer (don’t have warranty) and they told me that they will charge me $135 to take a look at the car and tell me what's wrong. I told them about my visits to the gas station and they told me that I can give them $20 enough to get a full tank on the car and that they will take the car to the gas station to experience the problem and troubleshoot right then in there. I haven't done it because it seems like the dealers are just guessing in most cases or they say that they didn't find anything wrong and we continue with our problem. During this economic crisis I don’t have money to spend on guesses. Does anyone relate to my car's symptoms’?? Any solutions? I hope we find a cure for everyone, such nice cars to be having these problems..

jetblacck
290

how much did that cost or was it under warranty?

Eddie_G1
430

Fortunately for me it was done under warranty.

jetblacck
290

It won't start right up at all some times I have to give it some minutes to rest then it starts up, it's at the dealership now

flayzzzchristian
70

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7 Car won't start all I'm getting is a click and when I try to turn lights on they flicker. No crank at all. When I boosted it one time it started without a problem. Tried to boost it again but not starting this time. Seems like something is draining the battery. Mechanic once told me the starter could be stuck in the on position therefore draining battery. Could this be true?

MsDee36
130

Don't have an answer. I left this afternoon to go put gas in my car, everything was fine, i came back to crank up my car, and the car wouldn't start. i have full power in the car, but it wont start. my neighbor tried to jump it, but to no avail. All i heard was a click noise whenever i turned the ignition.

jetblacck
290

The cars needs to be recalled i had a 2006 Chrysler 300 AWD 2.7 and i had to sue the dealership to get my money back, i owned the car for 100 days and it was in the shop for 55 out of those 100 days due to this problem, they never found out the problem, and they will not find the issue, we need to file a class action law suit against Chrysler

Sin2cal
90

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 Limited, and my car started acting up this morning. It will start, but would shut right off. I don't understand what's going on, but it's ashamed all the money we spend to purchase a car that eventually wouldn't start later on!! I think we should start a class action suit on Chrysler for this faulty make of the 300's!! My warranty been went out & the dealership for Chrysler in my area is very expensive.

sly42
60

I have a 300c 2008 chrysler srt.This morning my car started up for 3 sec then into shut down.did that several times,same problem occured.took it to dealers,they think its the whin and e l v unit.which is alomost 900.00 pounds.i just got a call back saying its still not starting up.can anyone help me please!!!

Whatisit
395

After thinking about it so much not wanting to take my car to the dealership because it was going to be expensive. I been dealing with the start up problem for over 2 years now. I got tired of the issue and finally decided to take the car in to the Chrysler Dealership. They ran a diagnostics for 1 day to tell me that the fuel pump is working fine and that they did not find anything wrong with the car. Here is what the mechanic said "Take it, drive it around and see if it happens again" at the point I got upset and told him that something definitely wrong with the car because I've experienced it for over 2 years, it happens everyday. After they noticed I was upset, they sent a fax to corporate for any suggestions, which took most of the following day because I left it over night. Finally I called them at the end of the day and they told me that corporate suggested a couple of things that it could be however, they were going to charge me to guess which was were I drew the line. I told them try them on the car if it fixes the problem I'll pay with joy otherwise I'm not going to pay for you to guess and they did not accept.. what a surprise. I'm planning to take it to a recommended general mechanic, I'll post any good results if any.

Whatisit
395

I took my 300 to a general mechanic. He checked for any codes and it did not have any. He told me that the spark plugs needed to get replaced and that he suggested a fuel system decarbonizer along with a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. After $400 I took it home, the car run a lot better and quieter engine. Once I filled up the tank, leaving from the gas station it did it again (took 3 seconds of cranking to fire up). I called him back and he suggested to go into the dealership and ask them to check for any computer updates which they should of done the last time I took the car in (3-4 months ago and paid $300+ so they could tell me that the fuel pump has good pressure). I did some more research and found this link: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion-issues-trouble- shooting/99598-your-300c-hesitating-start-up.html They replaced the Cramshaft Position Sensor and it fixed the problem, I went to pick up the sensor at the Chrysler dealership for $17 thinking I would give it a world since its not expensive. I'm going to replace it today, will see... I'll keep updating.

Whatisit
395

Just an FYI for everybody with the same Chrysler 300 problem as mine. I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor and my car has not hesitated to start up anymore, it start up like a champ!! Thanks to everyone for inputting all their comments and experiences. Good luck to those seeking a fix.

verolovato
80

We have the same problem, car starts up but turns right off... it has happened a few times before, but now it's everyone we start our 2006 300c. We have replaced the Camshaft sensor, but still does the same thing. Starts then shuts off, and then it doesn't turn over just clicks at times. NO readings with the codes that are showing any concerns with anything. Help!

Chase Sutherland
3,915

Verolovato...if your car starts and then shuts off you have a different issue than these people. My car started doing that before I got rid of it. I suspected the oil pump was going out.

verolovato
80

Our car has been cranking, turning on then shutting offer right after the first idle. It has happened everytime we started the car in the past 2 days.... looked everywhere on the internet. We removed the IOD Fuse 1 (relay) in the fuse box. I read it has 60 amp, but ours was 20 amp..???? go figure. We took that out for 10 minutes, and replaced it, then we replaced the battery in the key because the key is electrical..and once that was done. it started up each time 6 times times and still going. We will most likely get new keys and reproagramm to our car (we need new keys). Hope this helps if anyone is having the same issues with 2006 300c Hemi Chrysler having issues keeping the car running, after starting. Good Luck!

verolovato
80

WE HAD OUR START PROBLEM FIXED...SO FAR SO GOOD. Our car has been cranking, turning on then shutting offer right after the first idle. It has happened everytime we started the car in the past 2 days.... looked everywhere on the internet. Then found from a Chrysler post/Mechanice..to remove the IOD Fuse 1 (relay) in the fuse box, will will reset your Wireless contro module, from what I've rad. We took that out for 10 minutes, and replaced it as I had read, then then we replaced the battery in the key because battery was dying (car trunk was not opeing with key was a clue)..and once that was done. it started up each time 6 times times and still going. We will most likely get new keys and reproagramm to our car (we need new keys), since our keys are really old. The keys are programmed to you specific vehicle,so the battery needs to be perfect in order for the key to work appropriately. Hope this helps if anyone is having the same issues with 2006 300c Hemi Chrysler having issues keeping the car running, after starting. Good Luck!

verolovato
80

having issues with you chrysler try this link, they seem to know what they are talkikng about. http://www.justanswer.com click on mechanics tab, and choose your vehicle model. Good Luck,

linda1185
210

After years of holding off and not wanting to go to the dealership, I finally couldn't take it anymore and finally got the problem fixed. Ok so, first they thought it was my starter. They replaced it and problem wasn't fixed yet. Then they noticed that the system was poorly connected to the power distribution center ( I think this  was the problem). But anyways, after wires were connected properly, the new starter was bad and they replaced another one. While doing all that and trying to move hoses and other things out the way, they caused an old hose to leak. To shorten up the  story, car is fixed and hasn't had a starting problem in over 8 months. Thank goodness. Everything cost 500, it would've been only 300 if they were more careful when removing other parts. Other than that, I am happy I don't have to stress over that stupid starting problem. 

MAXTREHXXX
10

I found the same issue as Linda. I only have the issue when it's hot outside. They do need to recall the 300. it seems like it's a real problem for everyone.

cutty123
50

Had a no start issue with my 300m, sometimes it started and sometimes it didnt... I change the battery, clean the post and wires, and it still did it... one day driving to work, I lost cruise control but just before losing CC my rpm's went to red line then back down to 0 and I lost transmission for a bit and then it came back. I drove to work like normal but with no CC. I get back home and now the car wont start, i let it sit a couple of hours and then it started. this went on and it was becoming harder and harder to start.. it would even turn off while driving.. Its a 1999 Chrysler 300m, 3.5l... I was told fuel pump, computer and Cam Positioning Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor... I change the Cam Sensor and it seem to work for a bit but started again so I also change the Crankshaft Sensor and so far so Good... Keep your fingers crossed and i hope this help anyone who has similar problems... Cost at AutoZone about 45 bucks a piece. The cam is in the front of the car where the hose goes in to the block in the center of the Block.. great YouTube Video and the Crankshaft sensor is located on the Passenger Side behind the tire, (easy access by taking tire off) its on the tranny inbetween the bell housing and tranny. The bolt is 10mm and just one...

secretary1112
0

My 2008 Chrysler 300 will occasionally stutter when trying to start it. It sounds like it's trying to turn over but it takes a while. Dealership says it needs an internal fuel pressure regulator. I hope this is what is actually needs. After reading all these posts, not sure. Only had the car for 3 months, good thing I got the extended warranty because this fix is over $1,000. I think there will be a class action lawsuit or else a recall on this issue.

Lockman
10

Jus same prob called AA found that spade connector on starter motor loose cured

starshine1661
10

I have a 07 sebring. Once every so often it was stuttering when starting. Then upon turning the key it would start to turnover and then continue with a clicking sound. I had battery alternator and starter checked, all fine. The mechanic said it was the fuel pump which I had replaced $840 dollars. Now a month later its started again> Now the mechanic says spark plugs??? I don't think that could be it? Please help I don't have money to waste on guesses

Thekid212
20

When I first got the 300 I loved it but now I wana run it into the water front it's crazy how we all have the same problem with the 300

Damon Essex
40

Dodge Charger Wont Start. I had the same problem with my 2006 dodge charger R/T (roughly same for Chrysler 300) but mine has the kill switch added and has a different fuse for the "starter". Car would not start and clicking noise (small wiggle) may have been coming from the broken fuse under the hood but I was was alone and couldn't check. Light, Radio, etc worked fine and jump starts worked if cable and donor battery could handle it. I checked some other fuses that above people have commented on by switching them with the same amp fuses from other LOW PRIORITY components (of the same amp amount don't forget) This saves some money and time by checking fuses yourself. ⎈FIX!!!- I replaced slot #33 (says "starter" in picture) with part 05269988AA which cost $19 at a dodge or chrysler dealership. I can't use my kill switch at the moment but at least my car starts. Peep the link below for info from others and where I got my info http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t32276_ds501179

selene86
10

Somebody help me dnt knw wuts wrong with my radio it wont turn on. I have a Chrysler 300 yr 07, I bought it a new battery cause the old one was not working properly. When the new one was put it and I turned my car on my radio would not turn on.=(

Skyy38
0

I am having the same issue with my 300, I had to replace the Coolant housing unit for the second time. Went the dealership they can not keep that part in stock because so many ppl are having the same issue. Now after replacing that part the tech drove my car around to ensure their was no problems, went to start the car back up and guess what it will not start(catch no fire at all). they design these cars but cant tell you what is wrong with them.. Chrylser 300 are very expensive...

trfprf
10

I am having the same problems with a 2008 300 Touring series. the car dies in traffic and won't start. The dealership says they can't duplicate the same problem. I have also had the AC comprosser last May 2013 and I just had the AC clutch changed this month April 2014. The dealership refuses to allow me to review the factory website that they are receiving their information from about specific problems like these.