I get either a whistling noise or steady squeal on acceleration. It's a 3.5 v6 Kia Sorento. Had it in for new harmonic balancer and belts but did not cure the problem. Any ideas?

123Greg
0

Asked by 123Greg May 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM about the 2006 Kia Sorento LX 4WD

aztec626bf
6,505

Check your belt tension-er. Belt should be tight. Does the noise change depending on how much load you have on the alternator?

123Greg
0

I haven't gotten into it myself. I had local mechanics do the work. So far all new belts and harmonic balancer. They did the adjustment on belt tension. Still same noise as before new parts. The sound it makes is like between a dry pulley bearing and the whine of a turbo charger. It only makes the noise under load/acceleration. I'm tempted to remove ALL belts and take a quick ride to rule out pulleys. No noise then it's a pulley bearing. Still noise then it's $$$$$$$.

aztec626bf
6,505

That is a good idea. Another thing to look at is vacuum leak or exhaust leak. These two change with acceleration.......

James Warner
1,490

many of the 3.5 sorentos have a high pitched whistle that comes from the intake plenum. kia isssued a voluntary campaign to replace this part. have you had the campaign done on it? any kia dealer can tell you if theres an open campaign on your vehicle. all they need is your vin nnumber