how do I change athe timing belt?

Asked by mpavlyik Oct 15, 2010 at 09:00 AM about the 2006 Kia Optima LX

Nick Bell

i dont know but would love to knw i need my change and i have a problem i cant fig out it trys to over heat everyonce a while at red light or any where im stopped for a few mins but dosent do it all the time it may go a year or a month and when i move up a few feet or turn it off it goes right back to normal in a blink of an eye i dont understand this problem at all im starting to hate this car

Wait overnight for the engine to cool off. It's not worth it to risk burning yourself on the engine, which stays hot for a long time! Disconnect the battery and chock the wheels so that the car cannot roll. Remove all obstructions to the timing belt cover: This can take a while, as there are usually quite a few things in the way. Here's a list of a few common pieces you'll have to remove: Remove the air intake assembly.

Nick Bell

ok but how do i know if its on right or not cuz i know the timing is got to be right

Christopher Taza

Is this a 2.4L 4 cyl or 2.7L cyl? 2005 or 2007 body style. the produced both in the 2006 model year at least in the US. If it's a 2005 body style 2.4L, I strongly recommend you take it to a shop as that motor has a balance shaft belt that should be replaced with the timing belt and if done improperly will 1) leave the motor out of time 2)break the crankshaft position sensor. Otherwise there should be timing marks on the front of the cam gears that line up with marks on the valve cover. There is also a timing mark on the crankshaft timing gear (belt rides on this) and should line up with a mark on the block. Word of advice would be to line up the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley (accessory belt rides on this) with the timing mark on the lower timing belt cover. Always rotate the crankshaft clockwise. If you have the upper timing cover(s) off you can roll the pulley till it's "in time" and the cam gears also read in time. If you're even slighting doubtful in your ability to handle this I strongly suggest taking it to a certified mechanic. Both these motors are interference.

from reading the other post,let a mechanic do the job,if you do it and one thing is not right it will throught the belt,being a non interference engine,it will do big time damage..

Okay, first, thank you all for the advice. I didi end up taking it to a shop. I like the work. No vibration, and she seems to feel just like before. Now the odd part. My gas mileage has dropped like 7 miles per gallon. Yes 7. from 27 down to around 20. I mentioned it briefly to the mechanic and he said "Well, it's winter, your car is doing more idling while it warms up. Yada yada." I can't believe that. Especially since I have been driving for 25 years, and most of theose years have had a winter

Christopher Taza

Try replacing the air filter with a new factory filter if you haven't done so recently. I had a 2008 with a fillter that didn't look bad and replaced the air filter and was shocked at how much better the fuel economy was 25 mile runs before and after. Also double check the inflation of your tires.

Nick Bell

its a 2003 with an odd body my high beam lights cost 50 a bulb and it sucks 2.4 is the engie size