engine misses or stutters when you press the gas

Asked by delahousie Jan 20, 2013 at 08:46 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

when you press on the gas, the car stumbles then slowly takes off.

Means your engine is probably misfiring. Your check engine light should be on/blinking. I would take it to an honest mechanic as soon as possible. When drive with an engine while its misfiring for extended periods of time, raw fuel that is not being burnt is burning inside the engine is being burnt inside the catalytic converters and destroying them.

try replacing the fuel filter if it will ideal but when gas peddal is pressed it shakes and starts shaking that is the first and the cheepest place to start

Jim Demestihas

could be a failing optispark distributor (common issue in 93 and 94....less in 95. Does the idle surge when warm and sitting at a light?

Best Answer
Jim Demestihas

optispark -labor to replace is intense. At least these days you can get one cheap aftermarket. When I did my 94 it was dealer part at $750 or that was almost it. No rebuilts. I found a shop that manufactured a complete new unit and they engineered fixes to its short comings which were susceptible to water and dirt damage. Of course when its behind the water pump and open to roadgrime. The change was They vented it via a vacuum line and sealed the crap out of the unit For $800. Now you can get aftermarket for like $250........MSD is just one of a few aftermarket suppliers now.