1998 Jaguar xj vanden plas transmission

Tamarainchas
0

Asked by Tamarainchas Dec 03, 2008 at 11:36 AM about the 1998 Jaguar XJ-Series 4 Dr Vanden Plas

I need to add transmission fluid and don't know what type or where to add it. can you help?

Jeff Parsons
0

you will probably have to get underneath it(jack it up on stands) and then find the fill plug and run a long funnel(trans fluid funnel) from the top of the engine. thats how most are, that being a rear wheel though may be different. you should get a service manual for it to know for sure

Steve Delworth
25

That's supposed to be a sealed trans. Do you have a leak? And did you pull the upper fill plug and check the level while it was hot or cold? It's supposed to be at a certain temp to check the level.

Steve Delworth
25

I just checked my tech manual and it's called Pentosin or Esso, they're kind of shady on the specs. I used to tech at a Jag dealer, so the info should be pretty reliable. As far as topping it off, if you go and get a pump bottle like what you see for differential fluid, you can use that and that will also allow you to account for how much you add down to the mL. That's how I used to do it at the dealer.

John Coveyduck
55

Dexron 3 is what is now used to replace Jag Tranny Oils...And their moving up to higher standards now as well ...