Fail Safe Engine Mode

chasking
5

Asked by chasking Oct 02, 2007 at 11:12 PM about the 1998 Jaguar XJ-Series 4 Dr XJ8

What to do about Fail Safe Engine mode Light. It comes on in my 1998 XJ8.  Car seems to run fine but phantom light comes on and off

KBR
70

I've experienced the same problem recently. 81k on car and "engine safe mode" light come on periodically. Car's performance is not affected and I've notice no issues driving. I'm assuming it is a "computer" issue on no consequence and will continue to drive. Possibly discounting the battery for a short time will re-set (reboot) the computer, but not sure. Please advise your issues/concerns with this. Regards, Ken

scbutterfly
30

I have the same problem with my 2002, but my cruise doesn't work when the light comes on. Have you noticed that? I have been riding with that light on for about a month. Do you think it is safe?