Cavalier engine noise

Asked by carajo114 May 01, 2011 at 02:22 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

Why is my engine making such a bad clacking noise?  I went on a road trip approx. 400 miles, and the car ran fine all the way there.  When we got to our hotel it started ticking.  It only took a few hours for it to get 5 times as loud and turn into a loud clacking instead of a tick.  My car overheats because the cooling fan doesnt come on, but it never used to make that noise despite the cooling fan.  also, after driving on the interstate in backed up traffic, we got back to the hotel and from there the car wouldnt stay running.  The next morning after it had cooled down it stayed running, but not while it was hot.  My oil light was flashing on and off as well.  What's wrong?  If anyone has any info email me at thanks.

Can't really tell without being there but it sounds like you have an oil circulation problem. This may have been caused from your engine overheating. I would drain the oil and see if it is sludged up.