can changing a tensioner pulley seize the 2.2L engine

fanciest64
5

Asked by fanciest64 Jun 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

I just bought this car and had the tension-er pulley replaced because I was told it was
bad.... then something broke and the engine leaked out oil like a sieve..... then I got a new
cover and serpentine belt and now they say the engine seized and I need the bottom half
of the 2.2L engine what the heck is going on

yetilikesbeer
5,355

If it was runnin while the oil was leaking out of the cover you most likely starved oil from a portion of the motor. If the oil was flowing freely out of the cover there was not enough oil pressure going to your crankshaft. It doesn't take long for your bearings to sieze without oil.

fanciest64
5

No the car was not leaking any oil when I was driving it that also was fixed or supposedly.... it is one thing after the next? and I just can't imagine what is going on.... could it have been a mistake of the mechanic?

yetilikesbeer
5,355

Ok So you did not drive it while it was leaking. It was fixed? Did they or you run the engine since the new timing cover was put on or it just woldn't start after they made the repairs. Is it a 2.2L or a 2200, what year.