how to over-ride anti-theft so car will start?

warren
0

Asked by warren Jun 14, 2007 at 08:16 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

my 96 cavalier will not start because the anti-theft security light is staying on and i have tried using the key to unlock the doors and diconnecting the battery I've tried almost evrything except replacing sensors how can i over-ride this safety feature?

19,025

You'll have to contact the dealer to find out the security code or have them tell you how to disable your cars security system. The only other way to do it would be to disconnect the battery but if you've already tried that then nothing else will work other than have the code.

Ben Thelen
200

I have a 00 Cavalier with the same theft system. and online solution that works is to stick the cavalier into neutral and then start the car up that way and if i remember correctly is that you cranked it once to turn on the electrical systems not trying to start the car and let it sit a good while and then try to start it up

Bill Flunker
265

find a shop with a TECH 2 scan tool and they can unlock the security system on the car your age newer ones are touchier then that but on the old ones its fine, if the battery gets dissconnected and the light is on on the steareo it will lock the car up and your screwed well good luck if you dont have it fixed yet

mbar1
560

I am having the same problem with my 96 Cavalier. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. Did you find out to solve the problem?

You think this is helpful.
FNG96z24
210

The way it was described to me for OBDII gm's is to turn the ignition on, depress the fuel pedal for a full minuite, release and turn the ignition off for a full min, then retry. This is also similiar to how you reset check engine light on gm's newer cars, except you have to hold the radio button while depressing the pedal and IGN on

Dan Boughton
275

it may have the pass key feature.. which there is a computer chip in the key you use to start the car... you can try to start the car then leave the ignition on for exactly 10 minutes then turn the key off. then dont start but turn the key on for another 10 minutes exact. then turn it off and do it once more.. the third time you do it turn the key off then try to start the car. it may work and it may not work but its worth a shot.. good luck

15,245

yes but if you dont want to have a stop watch lol just watch for the security light to go out. it goes off after 10 mins. make sure you turn it off after the third time before you start it

You think this is helpful.
cobbville
230

i have a 1995 cavelier and it starts then about 1 minute later it quits also the engine light comes on when you turn the ignition and then it goes off its more like a flicker it has me stumped??????

Teresa Ellis
180

I was told to try and start the car, it should start and then turn off by itself. Just leave the key in the run position and the "Theft System " light on the dash will be flashing. Leave the key on for about 10 minutes and the light will stop flashing and go on solid. Then the theft system is disable.

justi1990
110

well i have i 1996 that will not start when its cold i spend about 30 th 60 min trying to get it to start it well try to then it well shut off but after like 10 am after the suns bin on it it well fire right up i dont get it and now my full pump well not ingage when i turn on the key i changed out the relay didnot work then i ran a wire from the relay to my ing fuse now the full pump well turn on and the car runs good what do you all think cold help me truble shoot this problum?

smokeyrain
0

I have been having a problem starting my 1999 Sunfire in the cold am. The theft device keeps killing the engine. I thought it maybe had to defrost in the sun, cause it seemed to start within an hour of my first try. I tried a bunch of things which didn't work then a couple mornings ago, instead of trying to start it I turned the key to the on position WITHOUT turning over the engine and waited 10 seconds then it turned over like a charm AND yesterday did the same thing. Viola! Will try again this a.m. I still don't know for sure if it is a theft device, but it does seem like it may be. Anyway, good luck fellow motorists! :O)

15,245

Not an anti theft thing more like a fuel pump thing

smokeyrain
0

Well, it doesn't do it anytime, but after it has sat overnight - the first start in the morning. The theft device activates that first try, unless, I turn the key forward for the ten seconds. The rest of the day it works fine...????

smokeyrain
0

Whatcha' think? (AND, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY)

15,245

The security light usually comes on with all the the lights and just like all the lights it will go off within 10 seconds as long as no error is seen. The check engine light, oil pressure, and battery lights all stay on until the car is started because when its off there is no pressure for oil, no current from the alternator, and no crank signal from the sensor. If the security light shuts off within 10 seconds that means there is no issue with the system. It sounds like the fuel system pressure is bleeding off over night. There is a one way check ball in the fuel pump that will hold pressure and when the engine is not running there is no vacuum applied to the fuel pressure regulator so it will close and also hold pressure. It seems like one of the two has failed and is causing the system to lose pressure and needs to be "primed" after it sits for a while. When you turn the key on in the morning it is allowing the pump to prime the system before you are trying to start it. Try turning the key on for 3 seconds shut the key off and turn it on for 3 seconds again and then try to start it. When you are immediately trying to start it, it's not getting enough fuel so it either cranks till it builds pressure or when you stop trying to crank it the pump runs for three seconds priming the system allowing it to start when you give it a second crank.

Josue Canas
70

if you have a chevy cavalier 94 up to 99 if the theft system is on don't try to leave de ignition on or disconnecting the battery you only be wasting your time just replace the ignition switch that is located under nit the signal stick the screws is holding the switch u may need a special tool just use the same u took off from signal stick. u will find out good look

Tom Clark
20

poor enginering its a common problem up to 2005 my 2004 chevy cav stranded me last night at a circle k in a bad neiborhood if gm wont recall this ill never buy another car from them.

15,245

Tom stay out of the bad neighborhoods, your car is almost 10 years old, they are not going to recall this because it is not a "safety" issue. There is a 5 year warranty on the cars from the factory because they know the thing isn't going to last forever. Thinking they should recall something that starts to fail when it gets old is just stupid. that's like saying they should recall every vehicle for old ball joints going bad, it's not a defect it's called old and worn. And if you don't want a new car then take care of your old one, if you buy a new ignition switch, get one with a lifetime warranty, then you will never have to worry about having to buy another one.

Willin
160

I have a 2002 cavalier. The theft light doesnt stop flashing. I have replaced the ignition cylinder, Ignition switch and the ECM and the injectors are still disabled. I have tried the battery trick, turning the key trick, unlocking the door trick. Nothing seems to work

ninjarider
10

If the theft system is messing up like in my 97 cavalier I was told by my gm mechanic that its either the ignition itself or the instrument cluster in the dash. For some wierd reason gm made the guage cluster the part that reads from your ignition. There are also four factory recallsm one of wich gm hass to replace the wiring harness going to the ignition, some bearing or gear in or to the rack n pinion and a new relay going to the starter for some sort of power overload that could happen. Gm will run the vin and can tell what has been done n what still needs to b done. Had my wire harness for ignition replaced and I still have the problem

camaroguy23
30

i had a 2000 with the same problem... all i did was find the anti theft wire, and snip it... make sure you but connect it to keep it from potentially starting fires, although the theft light stays on, the car will start and run fine... just my 2 cents

Techguy2600
150

For the older Cavaliers, Sunfires and alike "J" Body fourth vin, 96-00 try this. Take you Steering wheel covers off. Under the ignition cylinder there is a small connector. Unplug it. This is your passlock sensor. Key on 3 times for 11 minutes each. You may need a battery charger. At the end of the 3rd ignition cycle if the PCM doesnt see the passlock sensor "because you unplugged it" it will disable the passlock. SHhhh, known about from exp.