WERE DO YOU CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID

hankj
0

Asked by hankj Apr 26, 2013 at 05:40 PM about the 2002 Jaguar S-Type 3.0

HAD LIGHT ON DASH THAT SAID GEAR BOX MALFUNCTION

MacHaik
305

There is no transmission fluid dipstick as those transmissions are sealed for life. We do not service them and will only check or take a fluid sample when there is a problem. The fluid check procedure is to have the engine running and warm the trans fluid to 30-50 degrees C. Remove the 8mm allen fill plug on the passenger side rear of the trans case and once fluid flow out it is full. This will also be the place to add fluid.

mrmoony
2,400

Good to know, thanks.

05XTypeSport
365

Partially correct. There is no dipstick, but there IS a drain plug and fill plug. I just drained and refilled mine 3 weeks ago and i couldn't be happier as i was about to take it to a transmission shop for some VERY loud noises and whining, along with occasional jerking. Since the fluid change it runs and sounds like a different car. Note that the drain plug location varies depending on whether auto or manual. You should get approximately 3.5 quarts out. Less if it was low, more if it was overfilled. Used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle fluid.

Debbie Adshead
90

where is the fill plug I cant find it

Mariroddey
75

passenger side rear of the trans case is this in the trunk.

05XTypeSport
365

Kind of hard to describe, but if looking at the motor from the front, it's beneath and somewhat to the left of the battery box. It's capped with a rubber plug you should be able to remove with your bare hands. You'll need a long, thin funnel to add fluid. If you prefer you can remove the battery and box and it should give you direct access. Note that unless you plan on following the very tedious fluid level check, i wouldn't add any fluid {can be over filled} without 1st draining the old fluid. Again, it will take about 3.5 qt after the drain (paid about $7 qt for mine). good luck!

jdny88
10

Under the battery completely wrong s type battery is in trunk

05XTypeSport
365

jdny88 is completely right (as mariroddy also pointed out before)... my post was for the XType, as was my earlier post. If anyone knows of a way to remove or reclassify my posts, let me know. Otherwise, my apologies, and if you DO have an XType and ended up here accidentally, i hope the post helps. Cheers

ettyharkness_2002
0

Does trans. Cup needs to be full @ all time?

wonderfulwan
0

I need a doctor