hard to start & will cut off after it starts. seem like fan is coming on then off as it idles. what to do next?

Gewalker74
25

Asked by Gewalker74 Feb 27, 2013 at 08:48 AM about the 1993 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Limited Sedan

I've change plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter, idle cont valve, pcv, coolant temp sensor, & map
sensor. I clean carb, egr valve, & mass air flow sensor. Only code was 15, that's why I replace
coolant temp sensor. It started but cut right back off. I spray starter fuild in an it will start, I can
drive then stalls out. But will start right back up without spraying starter fuild in. Its getting spark
from icm and fuel pressure seems to be fine. It has 102,678mi on it. Everything original except what
I've changed. Will new timing chain solve problem?

7jimmy7
14,335

no chain ,security maby

Gewalker74
25

Would there be a kill switch located under dash board somewhere?

DanR63
275

Have you checked your fuel pump pressure? The pump may be weak. thus letting start but not idle.

Gewalker74
25

Im still at a lost. I replaced fuel pump. Still won't start. So I replaced spark plugs again, same result. Could the carburator be bad? Or is the timing off?

DanR63
275

Still sounds like a no fuel situation. Try checking the injectors/throttle body unit. If you are sprying fluid in and the car runs unitl it runs out the car is starving for fuel.

Gewalker74
25

Change injectors/throttle body. Still won't start up. It almost started but no dice. Could the timing chain be a factor?

ZanetaRose
30

Did you ever find the problem? We are having the same or similar situation with our 92 Buick Roadmaster sedan. Starts up ok then after turning her off then starting her again she dies. If we feather the gas she gets straightened out and then runs fine. No loss of power or choking out or nothing. Almost every start after the initial cold start causes this problem. It use to be worse in the summer and hardly at all in the winter. Now it is doing it whether it is hot or not. It is an intermittent problem though. HELP!

ZanetaRose
30

Has anyone ever considered the junction box under the dash on driver's side where the ignition, blinker, cruise control wires etc come together? We were considering that cuz we have done everything except the fuel filter. Are you having problems with the electrical related to the turn signals or the wipers? Our wipers will come on by themselves if i use the turn signal or sometimes just out of the blue, they come on.

Roadmonster93
30

Mine does that too. 93 Roadmaster sedan with the 350 TBI. It starts and runs great, but after it is hot like in spring summer and fall, I will let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, then it will crank and start then stall. I start it again and it runs fine. Once in a while it starts when hot and sputters but I rev it and its good to go. I have noticed that the idle in D at a stoplight is right at 500 and I always thought 550 was the norm in D. I have replaced everything everyone else has, and my fuel pump was replaced about 12 years ago. If it is heat related then Im not sure what else to replace. I even replaced the Idle control valve, the air temp sensor on the air cleaner, but maybe its that thermal valve on the inlet of the air cleaner. It may be closing when its not supposed to?

Roadmonster93
30

I checked my timing and it was retarded by 2 degrees. I adjusted it back to 0 which is the specs. It runs peppier than before and idles smooth still. I hope this fixes it.

ZanetaRose
30

Hey roadmaster93 did that fix the problem? I still have the problem. We will get the timeing checked and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

Roadmonster93
30

Its strange, but Ive replaced so many things on my Roadmaster and the timing made it run better but only whenits over 70 degrees and after running it for a while, it still starts then stalls when hot. Whenits cold out in the winter months it does not do it. I even changed the temperature sensor on the side of the air cleaner case thinking the hot air had to do with it but still stalls. Its rare tho, and overall has lots of power so hopefully I shall figure out this little problem.

Roadmonster93
30

Hmmmm its now winter here in Virginia but its been in the 60s and low 70s and the Buick stalled again. Just last week I changed the coolant temp sensor and the charcoal canister, purge valve and purge solenoid so the last thing I can check is the distributor ignition module to see if there is enough dielectric grease on it because it stalls once or twice after driving and after sitting 30 mins.

ZanetaRose
30

Had the distributor replaced and that did not solve the problem. We have a mechanic who is determined to find the problem. He thinks now that it may be the computer. Will keep you posted.

Roadmonster93
30

I hope so because all winter it ran fine and today it was 70, and after a long drive I parked for 30 mins and came back outside to start it and it ran for 2 seconds and stalled. I notice the idle has still been lower when the car is cooler but does raise a bit when coming to a stop and staying in higher idle then goes back down again. Strange behavior and its annoying me. I swear give me a pre 1980 car before computers and sensors!