hard to start & will cut off after it starts. seem like fan is coming on then off as it idles. what to do next?

Gewalker74
15

Asked by Gewalker74 Feb 27, 2013 at 08:48 AM about the 1993 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Limited Sedan

I've change plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter, idle cont valve, pcv, coolant temp sensor, & map
sensor. I clean carb, egr valve, & mass air flow sensor. Only code was 15, that's why I replace
coolant temp sensor. It started but cut right back off. I spray starter fuild in an it will start, I can
drive then stalls out. But will start right back up without spraying starter fuild in. Its getting spark
from icm and fuel pressure seems to be fine. It has 102,678mi on it. Everything original except what
I've changed. Will new timing chain solve problem?

7jimmy7
11,795

no chain ,security maby

Gewalker74
15

Would there be a kill switch located under dash board somewhere?

DanR63
225

Have you checked your fuel pump pressure? The pump may be weak. thus letting start but not idle.

Gewalker74
15

Im still at a lost. I replaced fuel pump. Still won't start. So I replaced spark plugs again, same result. Could the carburator be bad? Or is the timing off?

DanR63
225

Still sounds like a no fuel situation. Try checking the injectors/throttle body unit. If you are sprying fluid in and the car runs unitl it runs out the car is starving for fuel.

Gewalker74
15

Change injectors/throttle body. Still won't start up. It almost started but no dice. Could the timing chain be a factor?

ZanetaRose
20

Did you ever find the problem? We are having the same or similar situation with our 92 Buick Roadmaster sedan. Starts up ok then after turning her off then starting her again she dies. If we feather the gas she gets straightened out and then runs fine. No loss of power or choking out or nothing. Almost every start after the initial cold start causes this problem. It use to be worse in the summer and hardly at all in the winter. Now it is doing it whether it is hot or not. It is an intermittent problem though. HELP!

ZanetaRose
20

Has anyone ever considered the junction box under the dash on driver's side where the ignition, blinker, cruise control wires etc come together? We were considering that cuz we have done everything except the fuel filter. Are you having problems with the electrical related to the turn signals or the wipers? Our wipers will come on by themselves if i use the turn signal or sometimes just out of the blue, they come on.

Roadmonster93
20

Mine does that too. 93 Roadmaster sedan with the 350 TBI. It starts and runs great, but after it is hot like in spring summer and fall, I will let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, then it will crank and start then stall. I start it again and it runs fine. Once in a while it starts when hot and sputters but I rev it and its good to go. I have noticed that the idle in D at a stoplight is right at 500 and I always thought 550 was the norm in D. I have replaced everything everyone else has, and my fuel pump was replaced about 12 years ago. If it is heat related then Im not sure what else to replace. I even replaced the Idle control valve, the air temp sensor on the air cleaner, but maybe its that thermal valve on the inlet of the air cleaner. It may be closing when its not supposed to?

Roadmonster93
20

I checked my timing and it was retarded by 2 degrees. I adjusted it back to 0 which is the specs. It runs peppier than before and idles smooth still. I hope this fixes it.