'95 Roadmaster Wagon has power, will not turn over/new starter

caperoadie
5

Asked by Apr 03, 2012 at 05:16 PM about the 1995 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Estate Wagon

Tried to fire it up this AM with no luck. Has run great for months. The starter is new, and we were able
to jump it from the solenoid, but it only runs for a few seconds and promptly shuts down. It's almost
like a theft deter is activated. The battery is new and strong and has a full load. The Pass Key light
comes on, but always has. I tried a different key with no luck. All terminals and connections are strong
and clean. We tested them all, and they all "light up." I'm sure it's a bad connection, but who knows
where? Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

DanR63
375

There are a few things to check. 1) fuel pump 2) coil 3)ignition module 4) opti spark distributor these are going to be the most common things that would cause you trouble. I would also check/replace the fuel filter. If the pass key light is coming on and staying on that will cause the starter NOT to activate. Take a close look at your keys. the key on the bottom is worn and the key on the top is a new one I had made so my starting issues would stop

caperoadie
5

I have a newer key that I tried to no avail. The opti spark has been changed recently, and the fuel filter on the last service. Any thoughts on the Theft Deter module?

DanR63
375

OK you have tried the new key BUT how about the lock itself? The contacts that make connection with the key can be worn too. The fact that you have to jump it at the solinoid would have me looking at the ingition switch as well. The theft deter module might be doing it's job because the chip (resistor) is not making contact with the key. Most of these car are pretty high mileage and those keys and locks see a lot of action.