Check engine light flashing, car runs fine

Asked by 2frustrated Dec 06, 2012 at 11:10 AM about the 1995 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Base Sedan

I have a 1995 Roadmaster that I bought from the original owner. Car had handycap hand controls that I removed. Car has 56000 miles but was not used much for the last few years. The cars starts, runs, and drives and the only running problem that I can feel is a surging when coming to a stop. This is a motor issue and not a brake pulsation. Possably a misfire when starting out cold but not real bad. My problem is that the Check Engine light is on and flashing all the time. I cleared the code by disconnecting the battery but shortly after restart the light came back on flashing. I took it to a local parts chain but the man tryed a couple times to scan it and came up with no codes and a message saying somthing like cannot connect with computor. I also tryed jumping A & B terminal in the ALDL connector but when I turn the key on I get nothing. The Service engine light does not come on and flash codes like it should and it will not light at all until I remove the jumper. I suspect that I am having a computor problem but I am not sure. Can you help me???

The check engine light flashing is because the catalytic converter is in danger. Usually a misfire is the cause of this due to the raw fuel dumping into the exhaust during the misfire. The dummies at the local parts store are extremely friendly and help full and have great intentions but they will try to sell you spark plugs for a diesel if you ask for them. The reason their scanner plugged in was because its the correct obd 2 plug on your car but the car is a 95 therefore it is an obd 1 and their scanner only has an obd 2 interface on it. You need a scanner that can pull obd 1 codes and jumping it won't work since it has an obd 2 plug.

How u fix that