1997 Buick Riviera power window problem. Ive seen this problem posted on here......

kriski
0

Asked by kriski Apr 26, 2013 at 06:04 AM about the 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

I have seen on here posted a few times with the same problem, but no complete answer. I have tested motor by switching leads and it will go up, or down depending on which side I have the lead on. Only works with the down direction of switch. Replaced switch and still same problem. I havent actually tested switch to be sure they are both good, but I assume the replacement is good, and the motor operates both directions, soooo, where do I go from here?

18,175

You need to test your switches first, if they test good then the up wiring will have to be traced out for a break in the circuit. The most common place is in the rubber tube from the body to the door. Hope this will help.

49,735

The motor works in one direction of the switch. That means that the power to the switch is good, the motor is good and the switch is not changing the polarity to the motor leads. Here's a wiring diagram so you can check it out. -- http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7897-power-window-switch-wiring- diagram

Alvin1966
585

If I understand your statement the motor works up/down. And this occurs EACH time you engages the switch? If you are ONLY getting results some of the time then I suggest you change the switch. If the problem continues get a test light, locate the wires leading from the switch then engage the switch to determine if your are getting power EACH time the switch is engaged. If the test light indicate intermitted results check out the following.There is a 2"x 3" black relay box attached to the door frame.. engage the switch you should hear a clicking in which to help you locate this relay. Use the test light to show if power is passing through this device.

kriski
0

Alvin, thank you for your answer, but let me try to be more clear. The operation is not intermittent, it works everytime, but only on the down side of the switch. When I switch the down leads to the up side of the motor, then the motor runs up...I have already tried swapping out the switch, and the auto down window module(pretty sure thats what your talking about inside the door)...problem does not change. I am certainly not getting power to the motor on the UP side of the switch... that much is clear. I still have yet to test either switch to be sure they are good, but I suspect they are. That is my next step, once I retreive my VOM from my buddy. (yea, might as well buy a new one..i know) .....and tenspeed, THANKSs ! for the scematic..... definately a helper.....