My 96 blazer transmission not shifting after changing trans filter. Can anyone help me or tell me what went wrong...

Thundercloud Hobia
110

Asked by Thundercloud Jul 28, 2013 at 04:30 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Dr LS 4WD SUV

Ran great till change transmission filter
then it wouldn't take off like it use to but
when I put in 2 and it takes off like it should
and then I put it back in drive.. but I let it
setand now it won't shift out of first
gear...help me please

15,975

Sometimes doing a transmission service does more harm than good. Especially on an older model. The dirt and crud can actually give worn transmission parts something to grab onto and work better. Before you go shopping for a new transmission did you use the correct Dextron type transmission fluid to refill it? Is the fluid level where it should be on the dipstick? Did you have to move any wiring when you did the service? If so check the wiring for breaks or damage. Make sure everything is plugged in where it needs to be. Is the pan now leaking? Did you install the seal on the filter pipe correctly? HTH. - Jim

Thundercloud Hobia
110

Uses the correct dextron transmission fluid, didn't have to move any wires . Yeah fluid leaked out when I let it set, no I couldn't get the old o-ring and that other piece out so just changed the filter..will that make a difference not changing out the o-ring and that other piece??

15,975

Yes, absolutely. If the filter isn't installed correctly the pump will be sucking air instead of transmission fluid. This will cause a pressure drop. Just like if you were extremely low on transmission fluid. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
Thundercloud Hobia
110

Ok will change it again.. thank you!!!

15,975

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim