On my 97 Chevy Lumina the fuel gauge isn't reading correct replaced fuel pump one year ago any one have any idea's also replaced fuel tank same time

Keith Curney
0

Asked by Keith Dec 18, 2013 at 01:21 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

judge_roy

...you see, you have a grounding problem...because the fuel gauge has it's own voltage regulator...and the limited ground is exceeding the tolerance of this regulator....what you must do is follow the black 1/0 battery cable down to where it connects to the ground/chassis....with a coarse wirebrush grab the lug with a pliers so as not to damage the 1/0 cable and scrub the lug till shiny...the chassis can be scrubbed clean too, then use the bolt to put them together for restored ground to the fuel pump, ignition lights windshield wipers and all else except the engine block which has an addtional 1/0 cable near the alternator as well....make sure the main ground has full potential....you could measure the voltage at the relay panel~ should be a solid 12.5 volts there~

judge_roy

a new battery should be on the menu as well because tin/antimony batteries will only last five years before the ability to get recharged gets reduced till the alternator is workin' overtime to keep yer boat afloat~...you can check the month/year by the knock off labels on the top of every battery~