how do i get to the cable lever pivot point on the top of the steering column

Sherry Wells
140

Asked by Sherry Sep 19, 2013 at 03:40 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

my gearshift on the steering column is hard to shift when weather is below 60 degrees.  I
have arthritis so becoming more painful every year.  It has always been that way but as I
have aged, it hurts more.  I know it needs grease on the pivot point but do not know how
to get to it.  The manuals at auto stores cost $27 and are useless.  I am on a fixed
income so repair will be expensive.

DavidH25

Read up on this page: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1ltsd-95-lumina-ls-3-1-column-shifter-stiff-cold-weather.html ......I know it says '95 but are same. Age? You are kidding right? I say 35 from your avatar but arthritis can strike even before then. best of luck, there is some good information at that site

Sherry Wells
140

Lovely compliment. I am 68 but take excellent care of myself. I appreciate your response so quickly. I have been researching this problem for a couple of days and had one 18 yr chevy mechanic say it was seldom the cable but that prior to 1999 the pivol bolt was not good and it needed grease or replace it with a bolt they starting using in 1999. Many people replied saying they did that and it was fixed. My car only has 67k miles and only shifts hard when it is cold. If it was the cable, why would it run fine and shift easily all the rest of the time? It goes into gear and stays into gear and runs great so if the cable was bad, after 8 years it seems the transmission would not allow it change gears eventually. I know I can remove the steering cover but have no pictures available to identify the cable or pivot so I realize this is something I probably cannot do. Unfortunately, I live in an area where I have yet found a mechanic that was good as well as honest except the one that works on my 17 yr old Sears lawn tractor. I usually troubleshoot it thru research online so he has heads up for what to look at first. I am not always right but he has always appreciated what I find and share with him. I love this car and do not want it put in the hands of a butcher which is possible here in northern VA. I hope to have this car for as long as I am driving. I take excellent care of it and have all the checks done at the correct time and oil changed every 3k miles. The windshield is getting a bit hazy but then so am I. :-) Sherry