My security light is on and my car doesn't turn on.it happen two times.I know is the key.how can I turn my car on?it's a 1999 lumina please help.

Antonio Delvalle
0

Asked by May 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

Last time it happen the next day I try turn it
it on and turn wright on.

McCUBBY
825

A common cause for a security light on this vehicle is a faulty ignition cylinder. There are 2 small white wires on the cylinder inside the steering column that sense the chip in the key. One or both of these wires break, and cause this light, and eventually a no start condition. Same thing with my 95 cutlass supreme. The older theft system on the Oldsmobile/Chevy/Buick models s is known as the Chip-In-Key. This was used in the early to late 1990's. The correct name for this system is Passkey, or Passkey II. A very common problem that happens on this system is broken wires. This will cause your car to either not crank, crank ans stall out right away, or not crank at all. It depends on when the failure occurs. Sometimes you may notice that the light comes on now and again while driving with no other problems. Then one day it won't start. Then after a few minutes it will start fine. This is usually because the steering wheel was turned or tilted and the wires touched again enough to let the car start. There may be codes stored in the computer, but not always. The repair for this is to replace the ignition cylinder. The wires cannot be repaired since they break right where they come out of the cylinder. There be also be a new key with the cylinder. The key will have to be the same chip number as the original. The parts department at your local Chevy dealer will have to look up the number by using the VIN number of the car.

Nick Ashcraft
110

how much does it usually cost

McCUBBY
825

Actually the answer IS right, unless someone is going to bypass the security system...as I've had FOUR cars with pass-key deterrents that did this same exact thing. And answer is verified by GM in Detroit themselves as well as several mechanics that verified the same thing