Why is my 'low trac' light turning on in my car?

wark0023
0

Asked by wark0023 Jan 09, 2013 at 03:13 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

The 'low trac' light comes on my dashboard when I am slowing down and turning at the same time. It doesn't do it all of the time, it seems to be kind of random. But so far it only happens while braking and turning at the same time. I have not had the chance to drive it on a icy/wet road yet, so this has only been happening on dry, normal condition roads. When it happens the car makes a noise like the ABS is kicking in and I can feel slight movement in the brake. Then as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal the light turns off and the brakes work normally and I can stop.

49,745

The ABS is seeing a wheel that's not traveling at the same speed as the others. It could be a bad wheel speed sensor. It could be a bad ABS unit. You will have to get the ABS unit scanned with a Tech2 sensor to see stored codes.

wark0023
0

We already used a scanner to check for codes and nothing came up. We are going to clean the tire sensors today. would it be the rear tires or the front ones?

14,855

You will need an ABS scan tool, a standard scan tool won't test for abs codes.