97 Cavalier-ABS light comes on and then it won't start?

sunshinehc
0

Asked by sunshinehc Oct 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

About a month ago, it was pouring down rain & my ABS light came on, I didn't think anything of it because sometimes it does that when its really wet outside (not sure if that's normal or not though). But then I stopped at a store & when I came back to my car, it wouldn't start, it sounded like the battery was dead. So I got somebody to give me a jump & it started right up. My ABS light was still on and then my emergency brake light came on too. When I turned it off, it wouldn't start again, still sounded like the battery, so I got another jump, ABS light was still on, but not the emergency brake light anymore. The next day, the car started right up & I haven't had any problems again.
Until this morning, taking my daughter to school this morning, my ABS light came again & then my car wouldn't start (some story, sounded like the battery, so I got a jump & it started right up), but after my jump, the ABS light went off & it still wont start.
I know ABS is brakes & has nothing to do with the battery, but I think its bizarre that its all happening at the same time.
I replaced the battery about 2 years ago & the brakes were just done a few months ago. So I'm wondering if anybody has any idea what could be causing this?? Thank you!!

peti
0

same thing happened to me. does anyone know what gives? is it the alternater?

Merv Schmidt
35

it sounds like you have two different problems to be honest. chevy has a problem with water getting into the bearings and shorting them to ground causing the abs light to come on. a code scan will tell you which side bearing to replace. as far as your no start goes it sounds like you have a bad battery and would recommend seeing your garage to have them inspect the battery. i know you posted you replaced your battery 2 years ago but that does not mean that it might not have failed, I see it all the time at work. Hope this helps.

Joe1010us
50

Yeah....some batteries just dont last. I honestly feel lucky when I get three years. I always leave the lights on!