Freezing up

Loribee
0

Asked by Loribee Jan 24, 2011 at 05:17 PM about the 2007 Suzuki SX4 Sport AWD

I live in up state NY and we are experiencing some really low temps....
The inside back windows of my crossover are freezing up solid and no amount of heat is thawing them....what causes this and is this common or does anyone else experience this problem...and why would this happen...seem odd and I have a terrible time keeping the windsheild defogged and the windows

John Joossens
35

mine too especially when my dogs back there.....crack both slightly make sure air conditioning is on (green light lit)

Loribee
0

Air conditioning in the winter?????????

John Joossens
35

yep air con on........it drys the air inside the car. also use it to defog windows

Loribee
0

On hot or cold?

John Joossens
35

hot....... ussually run run mine just above halfway mark on the heat knob in cold weather. was 15 below here last week and set mine at 3/4 mark and stayed comfortable and windows stayed clear

Loribee
0

I tried it last night it didn't work...I'm frustrated with this car....thinking on trading it in on something better

John Joossens
35

wow thats too bad....havent had that much of a problem as you seem to have had, and as ive posted thiswas pretty easily remedied. sound like this is a pretty serious problem for you so id recomend a visit to your dealer to see what they might think. you might have additional issues that my car doesnt have. ive loved my car and wouldnt willingly part with it.

John Joossens
35

ps have them ck for a cracked heater core or leaking hoses/connections inside the cabin....that would cause a lot of condensation on the inside. ussually accompanied by a slightly sweet smell. GOOD LUCK

Loribee
0

There is no sweet smell I have to have the heat on high and turned up all the way to stay defogged....that roasts somebody to death....so i have to crack a window....it only starts fogging up when more than one person is in the car

John Joossens
35

yeh sounds like you have a lot of humidity in the car....that why more people make it worse, every exhale you make adds moisture. thats why i recomended turning on the air con with the heater turned up, it drys the air. did you have someone ck the heater core/hoses? might want to ck your floor mats and see if there wet, i sometimes put in rubber ones in really crappy weather. hope these ideas help! here a forum that has some really good help: http://www.sx4club.com/forums/index.php

Loribee
0

My room mate says the a/c thing works for him...so I guess that will be the thing for now.....Yup on the rubber mats....cuz I need to keep them dry....The Car is getting a checkup and oil change soon so I will ask about heater core

lgmayka
0

In 45-degree weather, my windows were fogging up, and not with water either. They were obviously getting covered with something. The problem turned out to be a leaking heater core. Coolant was leaking, then evaporating into the cabin and getting deposited on the windows. I am now looking at a repair bill of more than $1000. A quick Google search suggests that this is a common problem with the Suzuki SX4.

HondaMan88
0

Do you have your heater/air vents set to recirculate?, Haven't seen this mentioned earlier. Turn them to fresh air. This will circulate some outside air with the inside humid air (caused by exhaling people and animals) Recirculate should only be used the first 5-10 mins to heat/cool quickly, then always on fresh after that. And yes... A/C in the winter. 1) helps dehumidify the cabin air, 2) lubricates the A/C seals that would otherwise dry out. btw, most modern cars automatically turn the A/C on when the defrosters are turned on just for this reason. You can verify this by looking at your A/C Compressor's clutch when you turn on your defrosters... Good Luck