engine light on xc90 2005 at 89940 miles

emt
0

Asked by emt Aug 02, 2010 at 08:00 PM about the 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD

My engine light came on today. It has 89940 miles. The dealership has charged me so much in the last 6 months that I don't trust them anymore. Any suggestions?

Christopher Paden
2,005

Where are you located? If in the US go to an advance auto parts, autozone, pep boys, or other retail auto parts store. They will scan your codes for free. Post the codes on here when you get them.

Jason Bulling
10

So I am coming home from a bball game the other night, when my 05 2.5 SC90 starts blowing white smoke out of the tailpipe. I get it home and the smoke smells like fuel. At this point there is no warning lights etc on the instrument cluster. I take it to the mechanic next morning who calls me about a "breather tube" replacement that will run $650. The thought is that the broken breather allowed oil to coat an O2 sensor and that is my problem. They road test it and tell me it is running fine except that the Oil light came on at the end of the test drive. To which I get a phone call that they want to drop the oil pan and see if the oil pump is clogged and starving the valves of oil = $750. I ask if they could drop the oil first and cut the oil filter in half to check for metal. Which they did and found metal in the oil! No they say blown bottom half!! $5900!!!! My question or quandry is does anyone feel like I could go from white gas smelling smoke to a blown bottom half overnight? Never did they do a manual oil pressure test before the test drive, How confident can I be in the fact that they didnt do something wrong in this and burn my motor??