What could be making the thumping noise from under the car when I turn a corner?

Redman69
0

Asked by Redman69 Apr 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM about the 1999 Volvo V70 4 Dr XC Turbo AWD Wagon

When I'm driving forward there isn't any noise from under the car, but when I turn a corner I'm hearing a thumping noise that sounds like it is from the drive train?

49,745

If it makes noise when turning in one direction, it could be a wheel bearing. As it gets worse, it will make noise all the time. You can check the wheel bearing by raising the tire in the air. Put the transmission in neutral. Spin the wheel by hand. Grab the coil spring and if the bearing is bad, you will feel the crunching in the spring.

Redman69
0

I called my Volvo macanic and he said it is more likely the CV Joints. It is worse when I turn right and excellerate around a corner. Each side wears differently, and it is usually easier to get a rebuilt drive shaft than try and replace the CV Joints.