What is the exact function of the Winter and Wet 'W' feature on the gear shift box?

Nesse18
55

Asked by Nesse18 Jul 26, 2007 at 07:23 AM about the 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD

As this is an AWD vehicle, I am not clear on what occurs when the 'W' button is pushed? There is no explanation in the manual, other than you use this when driving in wet and winter conditions. I'd like to understand what the function truly is, so that I can determine when it is best to invoke.

Anonymous
0

The 'W' stands for 'Wet'. This can be used when you are on rainy roads. It mainly helps when you are in a stopped position such as a red light. When you are in the 'W'mode the transmission is adjusted so that when you are accelerating from a stopped position you do not spin your wheels. In essence it starts you off at a higher gear with less torque on the tires.

Anonymous
0

It starts you off in second gear to reduce power to the wheels to prevent them from spinning.

Jonathan Ashley
25

The wetmode also controls throttle input and torque converter slip. Im not sure if on the AWD models it does anything to the transfer case. Also uses the brakes to control slip to e/wheel individually

Wolfgang
115

I have wondered about this myself. I have had the "W" feature on a number of S70s & XC70's I have driven extensively. It definitely has a positive effect on slow speed winter driving and maneuvering. One thing I would add to the previous explanations is that when engaged the "W" button SEEMS to limit the range of the accelerator pedal so you can't over-rev the engine and spin the tires so easily. In other words in non-W operation the gas pedal will allow the engine to go to full-throttle for the full travel distance of the gas pedal, but in "W" it allows the engine to only go to say 25% of full-throttle for the full travel of the pedal- which is exactly what you want to do on snow, ice or slippery roads. I.e. Go real easy on the gas pedal, sudden accelerations tend to break the wheels loose from the roadway. This is a simple thing to do in an electronic throttle control system as is used on these cars. In older mechanically linked throttle mechanisms, changing the effective pedal travel would have been much more complex to implement.

ProblemsInThailand
30

Thank you for the answer. We have a 2002 volvo and the W button is screwing up. Is there any way that we can deactivate it as we don't need winter driving.