Does anyone have a problem starting 2004 Volvo C70 that stalls within one second over and over

Unhappy54
90

Asked by Unhappy54 Jul 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM about the 2004 Volvo C70 2 Dr LPT Turbo Convertible

My 2004 Volvo C70 has had this problem since I bought it used in 2008. When you start the car it runs for about a second then shuts off. It will repeat this at least two times, and then you have to wait about 5 minutes before you start again, and it may or may not stay running. Volvo has reloaded new software once, replaced the Ignition Satellite Ring twice. It's been about a year since the last time, that really never went away just not enough to be a bother. Now it does it almost every day, and it can take as long as 20 minutes before it will start and stay running. Anyone got an idea????

Ashley Robinson
65

Could be a couple of things. 1, could be the map sensor 2, fuel pressure.

kwma01
50

I have the same problem and have a work around until I can get the real answer. I unplug the mass air flow sensor which is located on the air filter box. Now my car starts without issue and runs fine although I am sure it is running a little rich.

Robert_66
120

I have just purchased a 2004, under 30,000mi a couple of weeks ago and are now having exactly the same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution that works? BOB SENIOR

Unhappy54
90

I don't know if you ever got an answer, but I did what someone else said. I changed out the Ignition Switch Antenna Ring, whic is just the ignition switch. It cist about $65.00 and I removed the three screws on the cover at the bottom of the steering column, popped a couple of clips, and in about 15 minutes I was done. It has started every time since then. This will be the third one since I bought it. This time I did iti myself. I was told by a Vovlo repair facility that they only last about a year or so depending on how often you start the car. Volvo has known abouit this problem since 2001. Good Luck!!

Robert_66
120

I have a 2004 with 24,000 miles and replaced the Ignition Switch Antenna Ring, as you did. The dealer wanted $947.00 to replace immobilizer and antenna ring and gave me no gaurantee it would solve problem. $69.00 seems like a bargain.. Bob Senior

mossee
10

Hi,I had the same problems with starting too.I looked on the forums and tried various things.I brought a new antenna ring and it was ok for a while then it started again.i have had the car for 6 months,and was told that it did it every now and then which I thought I could deal with as I really liked the car,but it started doing it constantly. I think I have found the solution.I tended to run the car with the fuel light on quite often and wondered if this was the cause.for the last two months I have made sure there is at least a third of a tank of petrol in the car at least and I have had no problems whatsoever since.hope this helps. I also had problems with the alarm going off sporadically.I phoned volvo and they said to remove any metal objects from the compartment below the stereo.It worked,I now enjoy getting in my car and the neighbours talk to me to now.

Collin Blackburn
75

It could also be the crank position sensor or cam position sensor, unrelated to the antenna ring. If the crank position sensor is bad, it can cause intermittent start/stalls. Any check engine lights given?

Unhappy54
90

There has been no engine lights. Volvo has repaired it 4 times. Twice with what they said was a software issue, and twice with the antenna ring. I replaced the antenna ring and went 2 to 3 weeks without a problem. Then it started again, but it's not as bad yet. It will usually stay running after the 3rd or 4th try.

Annoyed
30

I am having the same problem with my 2001 C70. I took it to a Volvo dealership and they had it for two weeks and could not find anything wrong...now they have had it for 5 weeks and are still searching for the problem to occur again so they know what or how to fix it...they have already put on a new starter and a new rpm sensor...I was going to pick it up last week as I was told it was fixed...but then they called me not to as they could not start it....later when they tried...it started...so they want to keep it and check it by trying to start it until the problem occurs again and then they say they will know how to fix it.. have told them about what I am finding on the internet about the ignition switch antenna ring but they did not seem interested about what I was finding out about this issue on various websites....and believe me I have come across many postings about this issue with the C70...and updates from anyone would be greatly appreciated...I am fortunate that I have another car while they have the C70..thank you...

Unhappy54
90

Annoyed, I tried another fix on my own, and it seems to have worked. I removed the sattelite ring and cleaned the contacts on the satellite ring and the connectionon the car. I then took a ty-wrap and fastened the two together so they could not come loose. It now starts every time no matter what. I believe the connections are not good enough and just the slightest mis connection caused the problem. This is the longest I have ever gone without a starting problem.

Annoyed
30

Thanks for that feedback. Did you use new ignition rings or just clean the old ones? If they cannot come up with a definite answer to the problem I will take the car back and do as you did. Once again thanks..you are more helpful than the Volvo dealership folks!

1974etype
10

Same problem since new. Fortunately just need to remove gas cap for 30 seconds. Car starts...And yes the Volvo service dept's are clueless!!!

kjb30
10

I am having the same problem. My car is at the dealership now. Nothing comes up when the put it on the machine. I was going to pick it up yesterday because they could not find anything. Then, when they tried to move it, he said it stalled so now they are keeping it. After reading this, I called and said I did not plan to spend a lot more money on my car. I had mentioned before that another mechanic said it was a gas cap issue...and yes, the service guy did not want to hear it...

azBlueeyes
65

Volvo mechanic had my car for three days. Second day he called and asked for more keys. OBDII indicated the key was going or gone bad. Took second key and Valet to him. Day later he says, use either key #2 or Valet. First key is bad. Well, that worked for about four weeks now, and it happened today with #2 key. After about 4 tries, it started and got me home. Put all keys in car, used old "bad" key and started first time. I really think it is in the dash somewhere. When I move info switch between AVG mpg and temp, it shows "DISC" once in awhile. Sometimes, in the AVG MPH position, it shows temp, will not switch back. Could be a lot of dirty contacts not talking to each other correctly.

donnieboyohboy
10

Experiencing the same problems as everyone else on here. I am starting that the simplest fix before buying or replacing any parts in my 2004 C70. I am disconnecting and cleaning all contacts first and will go from there. I agree with every one that this is an annoyance. Looking at the internal parts inside the steering compartment I can see that when I pull the steering wheel forward and backward the connection could come loose from the ignition switch as well. The one second start has been a daily occurrence for me so I will post my next incident when it occurs. Crossing fingers....

azBlueeyes
65

This happens with all three of my keys, but not all the time. May go a week or two, then it happens. After first failed start, I pull key and turn it 180 degrees. Reinsert and typically it starts. If not try process again (back to original insertion) and it starts. If not have second key in car and use it. This is a challenge, not a deal breaker for me and not spending money until it leaves me on the side of the road.