My 2006 miniCooper won't start, justs rapid clicking noises

marie8157
0

Asked by marie8157 Jan 24, 2013 at 07:46 PM about the 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

I jumped it and it started right up. Let it run for about 15 mins. Tried to start it again and just makes the same rapid clicking sounds. Is it the alternator? The battery?

45,905

Sounds like the battery does not have a full charge. If it's the original battery, get a new one and have the alternator checked out while you're under there.

Michael Branan
1,595

You could have a bad cell. Take the battery in for a charge and load test.

badmac
25

take neg turminal off while running. if it stays running it is not alt. then go to autozone get batt check.....for free

Nathan Yount
105

What was the fix? I am betting on a new battery as I experienced the same thing. The MINI battery will just up and die with little warning I remember a fun night of driving home with a car that would die mid corner due to low RPM's as a result of pressing the clutch in.

Mark Kellner
80

Bad answers from badmac. NEVER remove the cable on a modern computerized car, and in my professional opinion stay the hell out of auto zone unless you want to buy some washer fluid. Have your battery professionally "load tested" by a certified mechanic, it"s usually free. If you can see the needle your bat. has to hold 2.5 volts under a load. If not, junk it. I strongly suggest buying a battery, brand name " Interstate" it will give you years of trouble free service. Mini seems to have a good alternator, mines a 2005 S and I've had no problem with that yet, over 100,000 miles. The o.e bat went after two years, being sealed whereas you cant add water it ran dry and blew up in it's rear compartment, no damage, just a loud bang. I replaced it with an Interstate and have had no problems.And Yes I am a real mechanic.

Mark Kellner
80

So SORRY thats 10 volts under a load, I was thinking something else. If that needle drops the slightest bit under 10 v that battery is trash. In most cases you'll see it drop like a rock, but still under 10 is junk.