How do I repair the low beam malfunction

cjwigs1
25

Asked by cjwigs1 Dec 02, 2007 at 11:07 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Two problems prevailing at this time:
1. Water leaking down into the taillight bulbs shorten out the bulbs, need to stop the water from getting into the taillight.
2. Low beams don't work on the car, someone said the emergency flasher switch is the cause. I can remember replacing it once in the past. Help me if you can reslove this problem in my daugther's car.

24,995

For the taillights, the best thing I can say is to get new taillight housings, if yours are cracked or coming apart, there's not much you can do to fix them. They should be sealed systems. The low beams are most likely due to your high beam/low beam switch. If the switch is fried the high beams or low beams can go out. This is a fairly easy fix although the switch is mounted on the column so you may need to partially disassemble the column to access it. It's mounted down low. I've not heard of the 4-way flasher switch causing a problem like this.

stb470
10

My 1998 Malibu has developed the same problem with the high beams working and the low beams not working as of 12/16.....when you say that the switch is possibly the problem do you mean the entire stalk assembly needs to be replaced or is there a switch located at the base of it that needs to be replaced? Also where would one finde the part short of going to the dealership.