Where is the starter relay in a 1998 chev Lumina. Per wiring diagram this is between ignition cylinder and starter, and has yellows wires in, purple out to starter,.

eweigeltjr
65

Asked by Nov 13, 2012 at 08:45 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LTZ Sedan

No power to starter soloind, fuses all good with power to theft deterrent module and VAT, I am down to testing starter relay, which is a 2x2x2 black relay, but can not find it. Not in driver side or passenger fuse boxes, not behind glove box, or behind radio, or on steering column. Does anyone know where this part ia actually located: maybe further behind dash board requiring that the dash be removed.

Tom Torres
2,425

it is under rightside of dash above glove box its called the theft deterrent relay is your security light flashing on the dash? also will it start in neutral?

Best Answer
eweigeltjr
65

Thanks Tom, it is there, it is hard to find, it is up high on the left top of the glove box compartment, took awhile to find. The security light remains on for a few seconds then goes out as it normally does. It will not start in park or neutral, no power to solinoid. I checked power at all the fuses for anti theft module, theft deterrent relay, etc, I am pretty sure it is the relay itself. I will check it tomorrow. Thanks for your response. I made me look again. Ed

eweigeltjr
65

Since this seems to be a common quesiton based on my on line search for an answer, allow me to elaborate, the starter relay, also known as the theft deterrent relay, is in the passenger side dash board, a few inches above and to the left of the glove box, and basically behind the passenger side air vent. You will need to remove the glove box and a air tube from the firewall to the vent. The relay is a 2 inch cube, with yellow incoming wires, purple out. Can test with voltmeter to see if power in comming in (ground to body) and ir circuit is completed by grounding to the outgoing purple wires (one goes to starter, tjhe other to the theft deterrent module (I think) which controls the ground. If it power goes to ground through purple wires then the problem is likely the relay, if not, find the theft deterrent module test it. You will need to lay on your back and look up under dash to see the starter/theft deterrent relay, Good luck,

Tom Torres
2,425

you should have power at yellow wires and a ground on the yellow and black wire with key in start position and a constant ground at purple wire if all is good replace relay

dalman0622
60

I have a 98 ltz lumina the other day I started my car forgot somethin inside shut it off ran inside came back out went to start it and nothing. had dash lights but that's it so I replaced the and still same thing the only way it'll start is if you jump the starter. so I tested the relay have power on all wires but the purple and my security light is flashing please help...and thank