lumina's driver window won't go up

robriz
0

Asked by robriz Oct 29, 2009 at 07:37 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

I am about 99% sure that the master switch is no good.  Is there a way to jumper the wiring harness so that I could get the window back up while waiting for the part to arrive. (no garage - wet weather coing)  Seems like it would be simple but I am having no luck.  I have located the "hot" post but just jumping it to the other post individually does nothing.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Chad Ring
55

First try smacking the motor with a hammer (gently) while your are applying power. They are known to stick. If that doesn't work it may be the switch or the motor. If it is the switch you can get power to the motor by using a jumpstart box and some leads (a couple of lengths of wire will work). Pull the wireing harness connector on the motor and touch the leads to the two prongs (one to each prong). The window should start moving as soon as you touch the leads to it. Simply reverse the wires to move the window back down. If the window doesn't move the motor is bad. If you can't get a hold of a jump box use jumper cables attached to the car battery. put a short wire (lead) in the teeth of each side.

Best Answer
robriz
0

Grandis - your tip worked great. The window went right up. Lucky me it wasn't the motor. A quick trip to the local junk yard and $20 and 5 minutes later - master contoller switch changed out and all is well in Lumina world. Thanks for the great advice.

Stephen Funk
65

Awesome words guys. BUT, being a female I would appreciate some pictures of these words. Any answers. And thanks again.