need help setting the tining on my 1992 mazda miata

jrobert102
0

Asked by jrobert102 Feb 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM about the 1992 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

need help stting the timing on my 1992 mazda miata. i just changed the water pump and now i need help to set the timing.

judge_roy

there should be a label or a sheet tellin you what the setting is. Disconnect the vacuum advance loosen the bolt at the base of the distributor, point your timing lite at the main crank (first chalking TDC) and turn the distributor till it hits 7deg TDC or whatever it calls for cinch the distributor in position, reconnect the vacuum line.....done.

judge_roy

I like to use a golf tee to plug the end of the line that used to go to the distributor to stop it from suckin at nuttin'

7jimmy7
13,395

if your within 5 degrees or so ,just turn while running till right on, by feel

judge_roy

Jimmy. splendid; only this cat has a twin cam he's replacing the timing belt on. whoot whoot did the best with his personal message to me, like I'm a freakin GURU and instantly can pull the right procedure right out of my ass!

7jimmy7
13,395

oh! wrong timing gizmo. belt timing, yea ,you doing this without the book? first i hope you started on tdc at crank, then look for punch markings on all cam gears.,they must be aligned a certain way ,need book for that ,sorry dont have

tacomajack
10

Just found this in 2014 so the individual has probably fixed the problem. I had the issue, went to Mazda.net and figured out I need a book with pictures. So do you - the marks are not intuitive, at least for me, but even the cheapo Mazda books down at any auto parts store ($15-20) have good guides. IF YOU EVER MESS WITH THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY REMEMBER THAT IT IS A 2-PIECE PULLEY. The front comes off first, then everything is easy. I bought a replacement for the one I cracked at 60 unnecessary dollars.