2006 Mazda 6, car is stalling when slowing down or stopped

phoenix171
0

Asked by phoenix171 Jul 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM about the 2006 Mazda MAZDA6 i Sport 4dr Sedan

130k miles, new battery, recent oil change.  Car completely died at a stop light - couldn't even turn on hazards.  Put the car in neutral and was able to coast about 10 feet in which case the lights came on and I was able to start the car again.  The car died again when coming to a stop or slowing down.  I was able to keep it from dying by holding the clutch down and giving it some gas and using the emergency break to slow/stop.  Diagnostics at the service station showed no error - the car doesn't know it's having a problem.  What could be going on???

DavidH25

Have the codes scanned someplace else. I can not imagine a 2006 that does that will not throw some kind of code.

Darrylsports
5

True, it should have gave a code reading sounds like your idle screw is too low, & try getting a alternator reading just to be safe.

phoenix171
0

ok - will do! they did confirm that they've never seen anything like this..no error code where there's clearly a problem.

DavidH25

A 2006 Mazda6 does not have an "idle screw" It's throttle body FI

tornadojimbelino
35

Sounds like your fuel pump is going out. Either that or the baffles in the gas tank could have broken which would cause the fuel in the tank to slosh backwards on take-off and forwards stopping if you're below a quarter of a tank. It happened to me, that's how I know.